Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW X1, X3, X4, X5 & X6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2003 X5 Electrical Problems

Hi...new to this forum.. Master tech in Ohio (brrrr!!!)..I work on everything from military 2 1/2 tons to Diesel pusher RVS... and everything in between... I recently acquired a 2003 X5 3.0L...had bad thermostat but car dealership was afraid it may be a head gasket... So I purchased it as it was a very good deal...Replaced the thermostat and over heating issues went away.. Hurray !!! then came the mysterious coolant leak...pressure test revealed the reservoir leaking at molding line...replaced reservoir...all good again hurray!!!...another mysterious leak.... found coolant tubes under intake leaking....replaced both coolant tubes... hurray!!! coolant leak fixed... now have intermittent exhaust cam sensor code...replaced sensor... still has code... Then around Christmas time... it thought it was a Christmas tree...Everything lite up on dash...red brake warning light.. yellow brake warning light.. yellow circle with a yellow triangle (traction) warning light.. the speedometer started working intermittently - goes from 0 to correct speed then back to zero... there is a code for the left front speed sensor... there are some other codes also... OXBD (189), OXOE (14), OX5A (90), OX21 (33), OXBD (189), OXBC (188), OX68 (104), OX78 (128), OX12 (18), Also the brake tail lights stays on intermittently.... then it just developed another odd trick...driving down the road with your foot steady on the gas it cuts out as if running out of gas... then you move the accelerator pedal and comes back to speed... then drive a few miles or feet and it does it again...I am a certified master tech...but haven't done a lot of work on BMWs...not afraid to get my hands dirty.. but my gut says all these issues could possibly be related and/or common to these vehicles....thanks for any insight you guys/gals can provide would be greatly appreciated.... God Bless.....terry
Old 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi, sure sounds like what my 2002 X5 did, at first the three brake associated lights would come on go off and stay off for maybe a day or two then back again. One cheap code reader said just speed sensors, changed all of them same trouble. Got a better code reader and that stated 3 wheels had "32 outlet valve front left wheel", same on front right, rear left, and speedometer would work a bit then stop. Probably your ABS control modular. Mine is getting rebuilt as I am writing this. BMW wants $600 for the modular and $400 to program the dam thing to the car. I'm getting it rebuilt for $139 and it won't have to get re programmed from the popular buy and sell site, name of company is "My Air Bags" check it out on the site and see if you think that is your problem and there's a phone number to ask their tech. Good luck!!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: