Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW X1, X3, X4, X5 & X6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

X3: Acrid Smell, Low Coolant ?

Would be great to have your thoughts :

1) We have an acrid smell in the cabin. Sometimes it smells like cigarettes, sometimes closer to coffee. It only smells when the heat is on - on / off verifiable that the smell goes away then comes back.

2) About 500 miles ago I topped up coolant with about a liter, because the low coolant light went on. It hasn't come back yet.

So my guess is that there is a leak in the heater core. Anyone have any other guesses?

Has anyone tried to pressure test the heater core with air to check it?

2007 X3 has 118k miles

Bruce
Old 02-03-2018, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You might be able to find a cooling system tester with adapters to fit the hoses, limit air testing to less the. 15 lbs. See if you can locate any sign of coolant inside the cabin near the firewall, if the heater core is bad, you should be able to find traces of coolant in the heater ducts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Invest in UV dye which you can add to your coolant. Only costs a few bucks but saves a lot of screwing around.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: