Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Z3/Z4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lost my mind. Need help finding it

The following is quite lengthy but here is my dilemma: This all started out with very low fuel pressure so I felt the fuel pump was the culprit. Removed fuel pump, replaced with new pump. Decided to verify new pump had voltage, and it had none (at fuel pump connector. BR/VI wire.)So then I went after Fuel Pump Relay following the schematic. Tested relay and found it to be hung up, so back to BMW for a new relay. Went through great pain in finding it and replacing it to no avail. I tested the wiring and found 12v coming off fuse 13 and the red/white wire has 12v (Pin 86), as well as the red wire coming off fuse 13 had 12v hot at all times at pin 30. Fused jumper from pin 85 to ground does not result in voltage at pin 87 nor pump. my question is What am I doing wrong. Please help me (this is breaking my mind)

Old 01-09-2020, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sullivan View Post
The following is quite lengthy but here is my dilemma: This all started out with very low fuel pressure so I felt the fuel pump was the culprit. Removed fuel pump, replaced with new pump. Decided to verify new pump had voltage, and it had none (at fuel pump connector. BR/VI wire.)So then I went after Fuel Pump Relay following the schematic. Tested relay and found it to be hung up, so back to BMW for a new relay. Went through great pain in finding it and replacing it to no avail. I tested the wiring and found 12v coming off fuse 13 and the red/white wire has 12v (Pin 86), as well as the red wire coming off fuse 13 had 12v hot at all times at pin 30. Fused jumper from pin 85 to ground does not result in voltage at pin 87 nor pump. my question is What am I doing wrong. Please help me (this is breaking my mind)
Without a schematic, It is difficult for me to help you. Does the new relay operate? Have you traced the wire from the pump to the relay? Is the pump grounded well? Sounds like the original pump was good, just no power to it. Is the relay making good contact in it's socket? Don't jump around, start at one end and trace the voltage and grounds.

Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 01-10-2020, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: