Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Z3/Z4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
least common denominator

Porsche Crest Z3 questions, I know nothing!

Okay I'm thinking I should get something newer/more powerful than my 1984 944 and this morning on my way to work I see a Z3 coupe and a nice Z3 cab so I got the little wheels in my head spining.
This car would be my weekend fun car so I'm interested more in performance than in comfort. Having said that what is the best performing Z3? I realy liked the coupe are they rare and expensive?

Better yet is there a FAQ or something you folks can direct me to so I don't bug you all with... best year... how reliable... price questions... etc.

Thanks,

Last edited by scottmandue; 04-24-2003 at 12:41 PM..
Old 04-24-2003, 12:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
least common denominator

After looking around I guess the M coupe is the hot rod coupe.
Is the M engine the high maintenance unit that requires special oil and dealer tune ups?
Old 04-24-2003, 03:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

The M motors really dont require any special maintenece that is out of the ordinary from the other models. The problem here is that the price of the M roadster/coupe over the base Z3 is quite a bit more. However if you want the ultimate, the M is the way to go. I've driven both and there is no comparison, the M is AWESOME.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The "M" motor aka S52 is mostly maintenance free thanks to hydralic lifters eliminating the need for valve adjustments. Oil change,belts & other basics is really about all that is required. Throwing in my $.02 worth, I would steer toward the M car if cash isnt a determing factor. Resale value on these cars will be excellent & may actually increase in value down the road. The M coupe, to me, is a funky lookin' ride but this is the true drivers car because of the chassis rigidity. No cowl shake. Coupe are pretty rare especially if you have the later year car w/ the E46 M3 engine which puts out something like 315-321 stock HP.
1991 BMW 318is (in a dismantled state)
1990 VW JETTA Coupe (soon to be sold)
Old 05-03-2003, 11:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

I havent driven an M Coupe, I was wondering how they feel structurally compared to the Roadster? Can you feel that much of a difference? I imagine there is a fair amount more chassis flex on the Roadster.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a Z Coupe and M Roadster. The Coupe is more rigid for sure but the Roadster isn't as flexy as many verts. There are also chassis braces that help a lot.

The standard 2.8 or 3.0 motor in the Z is great. I prefer my Z Coupe as a daily driver and only take the Roadster out in nice weather. I can't see not having my Z Coupe. It's great to have such a wild car that isn't seen very often. Z3 Roadsters are fairly common but you can still get one that stands out. I had a plum colored one behind me today for a while. I'm sure we twisted more than a few heads.

Happy searching

Ron

Z Coupe
M Roadster
R 1100S
U tah
Old 06-14-2003, 02:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 06-14-2003, 02:00 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: