Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Z3/Z4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Z4 SMG steering wheel question

Has anyone seen the Z4 SMG steering wheel paddles? How do they work? Is it like the M3 with '+' on the right and '-' on the left are is it an in and out paddle with up and down on both sides like the Porsche Tiptronic?

Old 08-13-2003, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I test drove a Z4 with SMG, and ended up ordering a new '04 Z4 with the SMG on it. There are 2 paddles on the steering wheel, one at 9 o'clock and one at 3 o'clock. They are both + and - like the Porche Tiptronic. You can also shift gears, + and -, with the gear shift. You may also choose only to shift up and the car with automatically downshift for you even in the manual mode. Another nice feature is that you can easily put the car in 'automated' mode, and you don't have to shift at all.

There is no foot clutch, so some find the SMG not as much fun, but I love the fact that you can have manual or automated and switch back and forth at any time on the fly.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

I drove the SMG< i found it to be a neat littl thing for those who want the fun of a stick, but have the convinence of an automatic. I found that it's a bit lacking when you downshift to overtake a car for instance, just doesnt have that immediate power jump when you downshift. Neat little feature though.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just picked up my 03 Z4 SMG and so far I love it. I found that if you leave it in 'Sport' mode the shifts are much quicker and eliminate the lag Jared talks about. With the 'Sport' off, the lag is looooonnnggggg.

Also, the the automatic function seems like an afterthought. It downshifts way too slow and way too low of RPM's. I've come to a complete stop, looked both ways, and went to take off only to find that the its still in 3rd while it takes its own sweet little time to downshift to 1st. My suggestion...drive it like a stick and leave 'Sport' on and its a blast to drive.

Pictures of my Land Shark

Old 01-07-2004, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: