Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Are short shifters worth it?

The shifter on my 99 base is starting to get sloppy. I am considering switching to a short throw as a replacement. The Porsche shifter looks ok and has a reasonable price tag. The downside is plastic bushings. The GT3 version has metal (aluminum) bushings. The price tag is WAY higher, and not proportional to the benefit of mearly upgrading the bushings. I'm not keen on aluminum for bushings anyway.
So, my ideas are:
Rebuild the original shifter, and get/make bronze bushings
Purchase Porsche shifter and make proper bushings
Purchase GT3 shifter (not going to happen, I just like having 3 options)

The real question is then...do I shell out some $$ for a new shifter or do I rebuild. I don't race, I just enjoy spirited driving on twisty back roads. Would I even see the benefit of the switch?

Last edited by M Baldwin; 06-23-2018 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-23-2018, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
frankle951

Just breakdown and buy a aftermarket short shifter, I just installed one, I love it !!!!!!
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I went with a used 987 shifter and rebushed it with metal bushings.

It's not as short a throw as some of the aftermarket kits but it was still a noticeable difference.

Last edited by Tony911Z; 06-27-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I went with a 987 shifter and rebushed it with metal bushings.

It's not as short a throw as some of the aftermarket kits but it was still a noticeable difference.

Last edited by Tony911Z; 06-27-2018 at 10:49 PM..
Old 06-27-2018, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony911Z View Post
I went with a 987 shifter and rebushed it with metal bushings.

Cool, it's nice to see that someone has done exactly what I was thinking about.

I don't necessarily share Frankle951's "just do it" attitude. I'm just a poor boy from the city after all! But knowing you're happy with your shifter helps...vs just keeping stock.i tend to circle around stuff for a while.

Machining or sourcing metal bushings is easy for me, so I don't see the point in paying an extra $200+ for them. I try to stay budget minded. Well, as budget minded as one can be with a P-car.

A 997 shifter is under $250. With metal bushings it pushes the $500 mark. B&M is also close to $500. This is something I'm thinking about for fall, this weekend is a new suspension and I need to recover from a rather large spend before I spend any more!
Old 06-28-2018, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I searched PP first but to had look further a field; found Phenix Engineering. They have metal bushings and good instructions for $65. Used 997/987 shifters go for $120 - $170. So all in for around $200.

Last edited by Tony911Z; 06-28-2018 at 05:14 AM..
Old 06-28-2018, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the tip, Tony. I've got Phenix bookmarked so I can go that route when this job comes up. I'll keep an eye out for a used one, but if I don't find one the new ones are only about $230.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: