Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any takers?

Hi. I'm new to this forum. Actually, also new to porsches. I do have a C3 corvette and a '73 etype that I restored though. I also have a friend who recently crashed his 2014 cayman gts (14,000km) at a track day. Not insured. He has been offered peanuts for it. I'm trying to figure out whether to part it out or take it over and get it back on the road. He sideswiped a wall (right hand side) at speed. A full Porsche approved repair would be unviable but I think I can get it done more economically. I'm going to drop the engine and transmission and take the car to a body shop to assess it properly.* From what I've seen the chassis doesn't look too bad - obviously need too see if it's been significantly bent (a couple of frunk panels are warped), the PDK is damaged, needs front suspension and brakes and some bracketry, a few mechanicals, a door, and AC condenser.
So here's the thing, these cars are worth a lot in Australia (I'm in Sydney).** I've been looking at salvage deals in the USA (as well as used 981 prices in the USA). I wonder if I can pick up a suitable donor, harvest the parts I require then give/sell the balance to a dismantler? I could do a return flight to the USA and ship the parts back here and still be way ahead.
Just wondering if anyone else may need some parts that I don't need (eg. interior, other panels, other mechanicals) and possibly interested in helping with the logistics in exchange for free leftovers. Long shot I guess but maybe worth the ask...any takers?
Cheers
Allan
Old 06-27-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum Allan! Post some photos of the car in question and I'm sure that our members will give you some solid advice. If you have any parts for sale, use our Classified space to post them - it's very active and parts will likely get a lot of interest. Please let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist with any parts in the future.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Can you get the repaired car insured is a question I'd ask. My experience with Porsche body repairs done right is that they are monstrously more expensive than most cars. I crashed one of mine and it drove fine and the airbags didn't deploy. After I got out I estimated a repair cost based on other cars I'd seen repaired. My bill was 8 times that when they stopped counting and handed me a check. Without a frame measurement on a Porsche supplied jig or via laser measurement equipment to assure the suspension mounting points have not been compromised, you are guessing. Lots of pieces of that chassis are designed to bend once. They can't be depended upon to bend correctly so they protect you in a second crash.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wow! big plans. Probably not practical for a variety of reasons--what you're looking for over here is probably pretty hard to find. And you're talking kinda big money just for travel. And if you can find a decent parts car, you need to find a place to work on it, pack the stuff up, and send it.

Mike's right, at the very minimum, you need to get the car to a Porsche body shop to have the chassis checked out and repaired/trued before you even think of doing anything else.

I don't race, and never expect to. Seems to me your friend is pretty well screwed. Of course he wasn't insured. Insuring a race car would be sucker's bet. If you race a moderately rare, expensive sports car you've got to eat it when you wreck.

If it were me, I'd want an evaluation from a frame type body man. And then I'd make my decision. I'd probably pass on it.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: