Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question on clutch behavior

I am looking at a 2006 Boxster base with 106K miles.
The car is in good overall condition, but I think the maintenance may not have been kept up as it should. The car is three owners, first traded in at 47K, second bought the car as CPO, and the current owner bought it from a non-porsche dealer at 72K (not auctioned). Current owner seems to have done repairs (tires, brakes, frunk motor and control board, water pump, front struts) rather than scheduled maintenance. He has no maintenance records prior to his ownership.
Case in point is the clutch. When shifting, I feel a slight "pulsation" towards the end of the clutch disengagement. There is no "slipping" once engaged and feels very smooth at the beginning of the engagement, just that pulsation just as you let it out completely.
Does this should like a clutch pack issue or possibly a warped flywheel?
I can get this car at a decent price, but I want to know what I am in for to get it back current with maintenance.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Considering the lack of maintence, it may just need the clutch and brake fluids flushed.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

And, i would replace the IMS bearing while in there.......Mark
2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion
Old 07-10-2018, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo993 View Post
And, i would replace the IMS bearing while in there.......Mark
Is there less risk of IMS failure in the 2006 than earlier ones? And I believe that it is more complex to replace in the later ones?
Old 07-10-2018, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled sixtie View Post
Is there less risk of IMS failure in the 2006 than earlier ones? And I believe that it is more complex to replace in the later ones?
Well, you can't replace the IMS anyway without tearing the engine apart. That said, the question you ask is about reliability. The '06-'08 cars have the last version of the IMS. For street driven cars, the bearing has an extremely low failure rate. If you track it, then risk increases.

If you end up doing a clutch job, open the hatch to the IMS and peel off the seal to the bearing. That allows an oil bath and better lube and further reduces the threat of failure.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
987 , boxster , clutch , flywheel