Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
BobnJoz

Send a message via AIM to bobswei
Boxster S Oil filter question

I'm changing the oil in my 2000 S for the first time (since I've had it). The original filter had a spring valve in the bottom. The new Hengst does not. I believe it to be a check valve or pressure valve for cold start up. My searching can not find this exact part anywhere. Only markings on original filter are "South Korea". No videos on changing oil show this. Do I need it?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That part is the pressure by pass valve and it is supposed to be mounted to the plastic filter housing, not the filter. And no, you cannot leave it out as you would 100% by pass the filter.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
BobnJoz

OK, great! At least I didn't fill the thing with oil before questioning it. I'm not sure how it mounts in the "housing". It was in the bottom of the original filter so I put it there, on the new filter.
Thanks for the response JFP.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You need to either figure out how to remount it to the plastic outer housing, or simply buy a new housing as if it is not seated and sealed poperly, you have zero oil filtration as all of the oil is being bypassed.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
BobnJoz

I did find a photo of the filter housing you are describing. Mine is not like that. Mine has three prongs on the bottom that center the valve and hold it in the bottom of the filter. With the valve seated in the filter, there's no way oil can get past without going through the filter.
Thanks for the response.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: