Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Screech!

98 base: cleaned and re lubed starter and replaced bearings (6302) on the upper and lower pulleys per Ben's Burners, new poly rib belt 2k ago. The starter caused screech is gone however occasinally I'll get a short one when the engine comes off idle. The water pump has 49k on it but spins freely by hand, very smooth with extremely slight endplay est < 1mm.
Any thoughts by the brain trust?
Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check your spark plugs for torque, leaking plugs can make screeching sounds.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, I would not have thought that.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, retourqued the plugs to 22'lbs per Bentley. Everything back together and I have rough idle and running. My suspicion is a bad coil pack connection, is it okay to disconnect the suspect coil pack and start the engine without damaging something?
Old 07-24-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
Okay, retourqued the plugs to 22'lbs per Bentley. Everything back together and I have rough idle and running. My suspicion is a bad coil pack connection, is it okay to disconnect the suspect coil pack and start the engine without damaging something?
It is never a good idea to purposely run an engine with a dead hole, but a short run should not hurt anything.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-24-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm thinking the connection on the rh rear plug just would not click together like the rest.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
"The world is once again running in greased grooves". John Ford narration in Cannery Row.
Swapped coil packs and she runs great!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Well, seems I spoke too soon. Tried a short drive and found a mildly rough idle with roughness through the rmp range. Changed to new plugs (Bosch 7402) since that was coming due. Everything connected and torqued. No access was made to the engine from above and the only thing different was I tried to clean some oily grime off the right aft corner of the engine with carb & choke cleaner scrubbing with a parts brush.
Could this be a coil pack failure?
Old 07-26-2018, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sounds like it. Pull the coil packs and look for cracks, no matter how small. Once that starts, they coils are done.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, I was about to button everything up, put the wheels on and go on another tack: I was going to go after the throttle body and MAF.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Just pulled the coilpacks and it looks like I'll have to replace them. From the drivers side. Bottom, from the passenger side. The cracks in the black material seem to be in the mounting boss area.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
Just pulled the coilpacks and it looks like I'll have to replace them. From the drivers side. Bottom, from the passenger side. The cracks in the black material seem to be in the mounting boss area.
Those are way past being done. Common failure point.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I've decided to replace the O rings on the spark plug tubes while in there replacing the coilpacks. The tubes are turning out to be a challenge to remove. In order to avoid damaging the tubes I have modified a 1" expandable drain plug described on Pedro's website and I still can't get the tubes out. Is there a trick to this?
Thanks.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You have to watch out as the tubes can become brittle with age, so you don't want to go nuts here as you could shatter a tube, which would require pulling the cam cover.

We use a set of battery terminal pliers, with the heads inside soft rubber tubing to grip and twist the tubes to pop them loose:

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-31-2018 at 02:53 PM..
Old 07-31-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, that looks like it would work. I've seen some online videos with different ideas, should find something that works. Number two is the only one I've tried so far.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Decided to forego tube removal, tried#1 and 2 two different methods and could not budge them, almost like they were glued in. Looked back in the maint history, many spark plug changes over 234k miles but not one tube change. No leaks.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Update! The rough running/misfire has been resolved. This morning I pulled and examined the connectors on all coilpacks expecting to see one connector with at least one distorted female contact. All contacts appeared identical but the right rear (#3) had not been positively locked in place. Fixed and now she runs fine.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

See? It is not all that complicated...………..
Old 08-21-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: