Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Misfire CEL

Iím trying to diagnose and fix an occasional flashing CEL which shows up a misfire code indicating cylinders 1,3,6

The history is that as I set off for work in the car it ran roughly and lit the CEL, I hooked up a scan tool and got an error indicating misfire error on 1&6 I took the car home and left it for a couple of days. Next time out it seemed to run perfectly, however a few miles in it flashed the CEL for a couple of seconds, and then it cleared the light. There was no noticeable misfire. The scan tool said misfire on 1.

I changed the plugs. On the test drive all felt fine, but again it lit the CEL flashing for a second or two and then cleared. The scan tool said misfire on 3. Again no perceptible roughness

Anyone else had a similar issue? Any clues about likely causes? OK to still run the car while it seems to be running smoothly ?
Old 07-28-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Car year and model?
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes that would be relevant 2001 boxster 2.7
Old 07-29-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Might be time for coil paks. I got a similar thing after winter storage and first start up. Ran rough. After it warmed up and I restarted, it ran fine. I replaced plugs and coil paks and have not had problem since. Mine were original '06 and replaced in 2016.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

OK, thanks
I've put new plugs in, and just ordered a new set of coils and will replace the fuel filter - ill see how that works out.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Update - Problem solved
I put in new coils and changed the fuel filter ( messy but easy) and having driven 200 plus miles enthusiastically theres no sign of Check Engine Light.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have all the stuff to do that (I have the misfire, too) but I'm just waiting for the weather to not be in the low 100's. Yeah, still hot in Tucson! Need to get the brake lite switch back in--F'd my back trying to get it in! Might take it to a local indie shop to get that done. Maybe when it's cooler.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: