Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
It'll be legen-waitforit

Tires, whatís everyone using

So I need new tires for my 06 Cayman S, I have Michelin PS2ís now and I find them the loudest tires Iíve ever used. Thinking of the P Zeroís but wanted to see what people like here. Mine are 19Ē

Thanks
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 08-25-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had the PS4S and they were great tires, I would assume technology has come a long way since the PS2ís
Old 08-26-2018, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Everyone is using different tires based on very different priorities. (old tires always get loud)

In CN with regular driving at less then 50F you will get the best grip and longevity with an A/S tire. Michelin A/S3+ or BFG Comp 2 A/S are both great tires.
Here in SoCal I prefer Hankook RS4 as my daily summer tire and Bridgestone RE71R for monstrous grip and short tread life.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 08-26-2018 at 10:02 AM..
Old 08-26-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I recently put Generals G-MAX RS tires on my lowered 2006 Boxster S. I previously had Toyo Proxes T1 tires, but the rears only lasted 7,000 miles. The ride was also a bit hard for my liking. The G-MAX offer a quiet, smoother and more comfortable ride, but at the sacrifice for a slightly less reactive tire. The price point is very good; and tread wear should be better based on the type of warranty General offers. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
2010 Boxster 19". Had Michelin on both Porsches (Cayenne and Boxster) and had them on Porsches in the past. Love 'em. Expensive but the best of everything. Could not find 19" all season for Boxster. Had to go to Continental. Seem to be ok. Have put 5000 or so on them. Quiet, good to ok grip and soft ride. Just what I was looking for......so far.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
still plays with cars...

Stock size 18Ē Pilot Super Sports...
stick like ***** to a blanket.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
So I need new tires for my 06 Cayman S, I have Michelin PS2ís now and I find them the loudest tires Iíve ever used. Thinking of the P Zeroís but wanted to see what people like here. Mine are 19Ē

Thanks
Michelin tires are as quiet as anything you can buy and all tires will get quieter if the tread depth wears down evenly. So the rest is up to you.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I also have a 06 Cayman S, 18" stock wheels, and I've gone through several sets of Sumitomo HTR Z III.

My initial expectations were pretty low because a set of 4 cost less than the 2 rear Michelins that needed to be replaced. But I'm a believer now, and not just on a price vs. performance basis, they handle very well wet or dry.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm with Boxstersteve....Pilot Super Sports, quiet, great road fell wet and dry. This is on a 07 Cayman S. Best, Mark
2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion
Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Continental.
Super sticky, not too pricey, decent tread-life
55 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe
70 Triumph Bonneville
Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Wonder what the Pilot Sport 4S are like?
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 10-01-2018, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

On my 01 Boxster I currently run Bridgestone RE980AS on 18" Carrera III wheels. I wanted a tire that could handle the PNW winter (rain and slush) that had a high treadlife level. I'm barely at 400 miles on the tires and so far the dry grip has been great, looking forward to some rain to try them out.

I had HTR ZIII's on my stock 17's in the rear, good dry grip but I wasn't impressed by the wet grip. I had a weird hole form on one of them from camber wear, there was a 10" long section that wore down quicker than the rest of the tire and formed a 2" opening in the rubber. I've run cambered set ups in the rear (never too extreme) and had never seen a tire wear like that. Surprisingly I didn't lose air from it, but I swapped off of them after finding that.

It was probably a one off case but just wanted to share my experience with them. Swapped to Nitto Motivo's and ran those until I switched to the Carrera III wheels.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

2007 2.7 stock with S 18's with new SO4's. Moderately spirited driving in the Northeast. Nice all around tire. No complaints. I also have 2001 Boxster S with 3.4, H&R and Bilstein Sports. I had old PS2's on that: noisy and the rear ride quality was terrible and look out when the road was cold and damp.

Has anyone tried an Indy 500 on these cars?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

^^ Also curious about Indy 500's, looked like a great summer tire for the money. Less than $150 per tire in most 18" options.

911hutch, how do you like the Bilstein Sports with the HR springs? I have Eibachs on stock struts (01 2.7) and will be upgrading eventually.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

FoFoJoe. The 2001 Box S is currently at my place in Pa and I am at my other place in Scituate MA. Consequently I can't take any ride height measurements but...the drop with that package is substantial. So much so that I have to be extremely careful when it comes to ground clearance. My mechanic, Rene at Rensport, says it's too low and thinks I am crazy. I have torn off a few of the various low hanging plastic pieces and have to enter my driveway from the lawn at an angle. So perhaps he is right. I do find my situation a bit strange because I have not heard anyone using that package with a similar complaint.

My friend has a 2000 Boxster S with the same H&R springs, but he used Bilstein HD struts instead of the Sports and his car has a bit more ground clearance and his Box has not encountered the same clearance challenges that I have with mine. Of course we all know that HDs are not for lower springs but I think my friend's Box handles great, looks to have an attractive ride height and a bit softer ride. I spend a fair amount of time in track car and I think his set up is on point. Both cars do ride hard but the road quality here in MA is terrible so make ride quality more of an issue. As I said my friend's 2000 Box may ride a tad softer but that could also be due to the difference in tire size as his 2000 Box has 17's and my 2001 Box has 18's and the two have different brands of tire. Rene and I both think tire age, brand(design) and size has a major impact on these car's ride quality, and 996 cars too.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: