Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Best year for the Boxster S?

I am thinking the latest is the best, but other than a new one, what would be the best year and why?
How about colour for resale?
68 Shelby 500KR
78 Ferrrari 308
Old 08-25-2018, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
2009 and later are all bulletproof cars that will serve you well. No opinion on color for resale.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
2000 "S" if you like the analog driving experience, easier to find one without PSM.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

2000 of course. No reason other than I have one. Oh, 1st year of the S.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Try posting on 986 forum. The responses should be interesting.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Try posting on 986 forum. The responses should be interesting.
On your suggestion, it is done.
68 Shelby 500KR
78 Ferrrari 308
Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy View Post
2009 and later are all bulletproof cars that will serve you well. No opinion on color for resale.
Mine is a plain jane 01 base. It was arctic silver with a blue top and blue interior. Red is my favorite car color, even in sunny hot Tucson, I prefer black interior. Yellow is nice, too. So it's now Red with a gold metallic. And the blue interior is primarily black (changing out the carpeting is not fun.)

The 03 and later has a glass rear window--nice and easy to see out of and into. The 05 or 06 has a more robust intermediate shaft bearing and seal. The brakes on the S models tend to be better, so do the interiors. And the 04 & later has an actual glove box on the dash. The motors on the S models are .5 liters and have better power bands.

These guys all love their 5 speed manual trans. I like my Tiptronic pretty well. especially navigating in the city. I'm a retired trucker, the shifting gets mighty old.

Generally you get what you pay for. And REMEMBER!!! there's no such thing as a cheap Boxster.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Had a couple 986's. stick shift sport suspension. Nice, very much fun. Does tend to beat you up on long trip or driving around a state (michigan) that has a lot of lousy roads. Was great fun on tracks(VIR, Road America, etc ) and Tail of Dragon. Gave them up for 2010 with PDK and am in love AGAIN. Also got PSE and that helps.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

why are the 09' so bullet proof now,.?? Thanks
Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

'09 and later were an IMS-less design. Will some other problem show up when it is 20 years old? Who knows.

Last edited by mikefocke; 10-14-2018 at 01:04 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

yea 20 yrs is ok,.not 20 K miles..LOL,..I trust they addressed the cylinder wall issue as well,Hopefully !!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Show me a perfectly reliable car. I own one reputedly the most reliable. Seldom needs even brakes for 150k miles etc. I had a failure no amount of forum searching even described. No service tech had ever seen. One off events do happen.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

So true
Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
why are the 09' so bullet proof now,.?? Thanks
Complete engine redesign eliminating all of the well known weaknesses found with 986/987.1 models.

* No IMS
* Improved redesigned AOS
* Improved ignition switch
* Oil scavenge pumps in all 4 corners eliminating oil starvation under high G loads
* Improved engine oiling throughout
* Improved engine cooling channels throughout
* Zero cylinder wall failures
* Improved brakes
* Improved power steering pump with better heat management
* Improved trans that can handle more hp, also intro of PDK
* Improved shifter cables and linkage
* Improved microswitches throughout the car
* Improved wheel bearings
* Improved suspension
* Improved angle of rear axle reducing CV joint issues.
* Improved DME
* Improved fuel pump and fuel gauge.

There is more but you get the idea. Not just a facelift, the 987.2 is a completely redesigned car with almost zero common mechanical "hit list" issues after 10 years of production. It is a giant leap in reliability from the 986 which I owned for 10 years. The 981 is even further refined.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 10-13-2018 at 08:33 PM..
Old 10-13-2018, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy View Post
Complete engine redesign eliminating all of the well known weaknesses found with 986/987.1 models.

* No IMS
* Improved redesigned AOS
* Improved ignition switch
* Oil scavenge pumps in all 4 corners eliminating oil starvation under high G loads
* Improved engine oiling throughout
* Improved engine cooling channels throughout
* Zero cylinder wall failures
* Improved brakes
* Improved power steering pump with better heat management
* Improved trans that can handle more hp, also intro of PDK
* Improved shifter cables and linkage
* Improved microswitches throughout the car
* Improved wheel bearings
* Improved suspension
* Improved angle of rear axle reducing CV joint issues.
* Improved DME
* Improved fuel pump and fuel gauge.

There is more but you get the idea. Not just a facelift, the 987.2 is a completely redesigned car with almost zero common mechanical "hit list" issues after 10 years of production. It is a giant leap in reliability from the 986 which I owned for 10 years. The 981 is even further refined.
Love to know the "more" list as I'd like to incorporate it into the model year differences page with appropriate credit.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: