Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 987 evaporative P0441 code & gas odor

Hey guys. I need technical advice.
A few days ago I was driving my 2007 987 Boxster Base (120k miles) for ~1/2 hours with the tank 2/3 full from work and I stopped at a store.
After 5 minutes I got back in the car to drive home. The minute I started the car, even before leaving the parking lot, a very strong smell
that seemed like super-concentrated gas smell filled the cabin (with the roof up and windows up(!)). I opened the windows and drove home after checking for gas leaks
under the car. No other symptoms. When I parked in my garage the strong smell was still persistent around the car for a few minutes and eventually dissipated.
I could not locate where it was coming from.

The next day, while driving, the dashboard turned the engine light on. The Torque app connected to an ODBII scanner reported
code P0441 "Evaporative Emission Control System incorrect purge flow".
Others have reported the same code with problems filling up the tank or starting the engine, but my car behaves normally. No problem with fill-ups, either.
Since then, there was no other instance of pungent gas smell in/around the car. The code did not come back after resetting it.

The smell, much stronger and pungent than regular gas vapor smell, makes me believe that a leak or a fault valve *after* the canister is to blame.
I did some online research and I could not find an explicit "purge valve" for this model.
The vent line (part# 987 110 128 00), the Purge-air line (#987 201 353 00) or the canister could be faulty. Or maybe the leak is from the diagnostic module itself.

Has anyone seen anything similar ?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
evaporative system , p0441