Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New German Leather Seat covers

Driver's seat bottom split along a seam ('98). I looked at several options on Ebay and original Porsche. There is one Porsche Savanna Beige smooth leather seat cover in the country for $2130.
Just bought this set from diamondmall on Ebay. It has the correct attachments (not hog rings), separate bolsters and back insert and the leather is as close as possible to twenty year old tanned leather.
As a matter of course I will replace the cushion as well.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

These are the covers that I am using in my other post about replacing the seat covers. A couple of problems with these covers:
The pleat pulls are loops of material, no the plastic spine on the end as the original. They used the spine material for the sides of the seats and back bolsters so they have the material. Why not here? Presumably I will have to find a plastic rod to go through the loop. Otherwise I suspect the material will tear out.
The pleat pulls on the back insert and seat are too wide to fit the slot in the foam. They can be cut narrower but that also cuts through the stitching holding the loop closed.
The original seat back insert has cloth around the edge. Small slits were made in it to go over the tabs in the plastic back panel. These inserts use foam headliner material. I doubt they will last as the foam material will probably tear out. I could wet the material around the slits with cynocrylate to re-enforce them.
The back end of the seat bottom has one long plastic hook strip. The original has four plastic hooks. The base has four slots these hooks go into. Obviously will not work.
The seat bottom has foam headliner material on the inside of the sides and bolsters. The original does not. The rear corner of the cover has to be glued to the base with hot melt glue. The foam material will melt before the glue does. This will have to be cut away.
The only backing material used in the original seats are cloth across the seat bottom and back insert, a mohair material at the ends of the seat bottom and back insert and a foam material on the back of the headrest.
Maybe the foam headliner material is part of the "old world craftsman" sewing.
No complaints about the leather and stitching.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I received a reply from diamondmall about the mounting issues with the seat covers:

Hello
Just checked with the manufacturer, the seats are done right, you do not pieces to attach the plastic clip.
if you are having any issues with the seats we highly recommend having a professional upholstery shop install it
I do not personally have experience with installation so i do not want to give you the wrong advise
if you have any other questions please let us know

Best Regards

- diamondmall

I replaced the soft top on this Boxster myself which is more difficult than putting on seat covers. The covers should fit without having to modify them.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So far this exchange has not gone well. They continue to insist that the covers fit as they are.
They now say the added foam is to make up for the seat foam shrinking. Fine, except I have new foam for the seat and the foam is not shown in their Ebay pictures nor mentioned in the posting. Still do not address the pleat pulls being too wide (cutting them will cut through the stitching holding the loop together) and the missing spline on the end.

This is their last reply:
Option 1) $100 Partial refund
Option 2) we get the seats and fix that plastic piece

Previous exchanges as posted through Ebay:
Your previous message
I do not see how they could be installed without modification. You do not seem to recognize that one continuous hook strip across the end is not going to fit into FOUR SEPARATE WINDOWS in the seat base.
Your Ebay posting does not state that they have to be modified to fit.
You did not answer my question about the pleat pulls that are missing the plastic spine and too wide to fit the slot in the foam.
If you want me to fix the problems with fitting these covers it will be $75/hour plus materials.
It you do not fix the problems with these covers I am returning them and sending a complaint to Ebay.
37 sold is not hundreds.

diamondmall:
Hello
we have sold 100s of sets that way and they were installed just fine
yes we can install a different plastic piece there for you no problem

Your previous message
If your production manager thinks they can install the cover the way it is then they have never installed the cover . The seat base has four windows for the rear clips to be inserted. One clip the width of the cover will not go into four windows.
Are you going to fix the pleat pulls with the correct plastic spine material?
My customer has been without their car for over a week and are being inconvenienced.

diamondmall:
Hello
Do you want us to install that plastic piece for you? we can install it on the cushion if you want but the production manager assured us that it can be installed the way it is now for sure

Your previous message
The original covers do not have foam inside the seat bottom or back bolsters. The rear corner of the seat bottom has to be glued onto the frame. The foam has to be cut away to do this.
The back insert cover is held by plastic tabs. The original has cloth. Yours has foam headliner material. It will tear out.
The original back insert pleat pull have a plastic spline for the hog rings. Yours has a loop of cloth that is too wide to fit the slot in the foam and no spine.
The original seat bottom has clips to hold the plastic spine on the pleat pulls. Yours does not have the spine.
"Patterned from original factory parts" - Your pleat pulls do not have the spline for attachment. You used the correct spine material on the seat bottom sides and back bolsters, WHY NOT THE PLEAT PULLS?
I will need your guarantee that the foam headliner material on the back insert cover will not tear out.

diamondmall:
Hello
Can you please show us what you mean?

Your previous message
Looking at your posting on E-bay, the seat bottom cover has the correct four tabs at the rear. This is not what I received which has a single plastic hook across the rear.
The posted picture also does not have the foam sheet inside the sides of the bottom which is the same as the factory. The pieces that I received have foam inside.
The back insert has a black material around the edge, not the foam headliner material on the set I received.
I had not taken my seats apart before purchasing so I did not know the pleat pulls were also supposed to have the plastic spine.
You advertise exact fit and easy installation, not "can be modified to fit".

diamondmall:
Hello
Just checked with the manufacturer, the seats are done right, you do not pieces to attach the plastic clip.
if you are having any issues with the seats we highly recommend having a professional upholstery shop install it
I do not personally have experience with installation so i do not want to give you the wrong advise
if you have any other questions please let us know

Best Regards

Your previous message
A few complaints about the seat covers that I bought.
The seat bottom does not have the four clips at the back as shown in the picture. It has one continuous strip. it cannot be attached with this. Remedy?
The pulls for the pleats do not have the plastic strip on the end for the clips on the seat bottom or hog rings on the bask insert. I doubt putting them through the material will last long. You used the spine strip material on the sides of the seat and back, why not the pleat pulls? Remedy?
The pulls are too wide for the slots in the foam. Cutting them narrower will cut through the loop stitching which will then unravel. Remedy?
There is foam liner on the sides of the seat bottom not on the original. The rear corner has to be glued to the frame which cannot be done with the foam liner. Even if the foam was glued to the leather it could not be glued to the seat frame. Remedy?
The material around the seat back inserts appears to be headliner material. It has to be sliced to go over the tabs on the plastic insert. This will not last. Could you not find a cloth material for this? Will you guarantee the headliner material will not tear out?
The leather and stitching appears good.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Their last offer was $100 refund because it is past the 30 day refund policy. Taking that would mean several hours of work to fix the problems assuming I can get the spine edged material or sew in a piece of plastic rod into the seat pulls and remove the foam without disturbing the stitching. The seat bottom hooks can be cut from the existing piece.
I talked to Ebay and because the part sent was not what is shown in their pictures and the value of the item they will have them give a replacement or a full refund.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ebay is not going to honor their money back guarantee. Now I have to see if the credit card company will do something. Then it is the courts. They did not send what is pictured. I will not buy from or recommend Diamondmall again.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ebay states they will not honor their guarantee because it was past their 30 day limit. As I told them it took 14 days from purchase to delivery (on a Saturday), then I had to get the car in, take out the seats, find more parts had to be ordered before the covers could be installed which took it past the 30 days. They do not care.
I posted a review of the covers will all the problems that I stated here with pictures but Ebay has refused to post it. Apparently negative reviews are not allowed.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: