Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cam Cover Removal

Hi, Have 99 Boxster Base. Going to attempt to remove Cam Cover at least on Bank 2, seems to have a bad Solenoid and cover also appears to be leaking. Question is how and what do I need to remove from the top side of the engine to get at the Cam Cover. It's going to be done w/engine in the car and the tranny pulled for IMS replacement. Thanks in advance. Vin
Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I did the job on a 2000 S with the engine in the car. I had the airbox and header out along with some of the other things you will have to remove to pull the transmission. I honestly don't know how it would be possible to do the job with the airbox in place. Maybe someone has done it but it would seem to me to be near impossible given how far you need to pull the cam cover off to clear the variocam solenoid. Maybe if you partially dropped the engine (??).
Old 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, I went ahead and got the airbox out, seemed to make a lot more room. How did you make out getting the timing tool on?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The timing tool...yes, that was tricky as I recall. In the end I was able to get it done but don't recall the specifics of what I did. I seem to remember having to modify the tool I had.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

To set the cam lock, you need to loosen but not remove the cam cover so that you can remove the green end caps, then bolt the cam lock tool in to hold the cam in position before removing the cam cover. Be sure to mark the position of the scavenger pump on the end of the engine. It only goes in one way and can be confusing. I made a tool out of strong tie strap.

When you put it back together, be very conservative with the sealant, If you block off the drain galleys on the end of the cover, you'll be building up pressure in the engine and popping those green end caps off.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 09-15-2018 at 08:59 AM..
Old 09-15-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Brian, Didn't take a close look yet but on Bank2 are the cam caps on the flywheel side? I know the scavenger pump is on the pulley side of bank 2. I'm also going to drop the transmission for IMS replacement. Does the exhaust sys come out from the cats back or do the cats have to come out as well ...wasn't clear in the DYI. Thanks again!!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
To set the cam lock, you need to loosen but not remove the cam cover so that you can remove the green end caps, then bolt the cam lock tool in to hold the cam in position before removing the cam cover. Be sure to mark the position of the scavenger pump on the end of the engine. It only goes in one way and can be confusing. I made a tool out of strong tie strap.

When you put it back together, be very conservative with the sealant, If you block off the drain galleys on the end of the cover, you'll be building up pressure in the engine and popping those green end caps off.
No need to loosen the cam cover and risk causing a leak, just pry the cap out or stab it in the center with a awl type tool & lever off.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Is there a timing procedure for timing between cams and crankshaft. I assume w engine locked at TDC and then lining up both cams relative to themselves everything is in sync. Checking both sides of course. I have the Bentley manual and 101 book is there any other manual I should be looking at? Thanks
Old 09-22-2018, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
No need to loosen the cam cover and risk causing a leak, just pry the cap out or stab it in the center with a awl type tool & lever off.
He's taking the cam cover off to replace the solenoid. I suggest loosening the cam cover a bit so that t here's no need to pry the plugs out--which could damage them.

The big thing is when putting the cover back on, to get the scavenger pump lined up right and not using too much sealer-which can clog the oil drain galleys (known from personal experience.) Mine were so clogged that the top of the head/cam area pressurized and popped the cam plugs out.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: