Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HID headlights conversion

... have a 2007 Boxter S ... recently converted my halogen headlights to HID ( Morimoto Elite kit- H7A, 6500k, 50W) ... main beam only .. look great, w/one small complaint ... notice a 'light' shadow in each beam center ... I'm guessing it's a result of the bulb base to top ignition wire running outside the bulb 'shadowing' the beams ... the bulb can only be inserted (keyed) with the wire facing upward, the upper side of bulb ... there was no option to select bulb with wire facing downward, below bulb ... any thoughts? comments? suggestions? Tx
Old 10-24-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

... is this post in the right Forum?? ... not a single reply after 122 views!?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
I suggest posting this in our 986 forum, it is dedicated to just the Boxster/Cayman.

Porsche Boxster and Cayman Discussion Forum, DIY Technical Advice, Parts and Cars for Sale - Welcome to the 986 Forum!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer13 View Post
... have a 2007 Boxter S ... recently converted my halogen headlights to HID ( Morimoto Elite kit- H7A, 6500k, 50W) ... main beam only .. look great, w/one small complaint ... notice a 'light' shadow in each beam center ... I'm guessing it's a result of the bulb base to top ignition wire running outside the bulb 'shadowing' the beams ... the bulb can only be inserted (keyed) with the wire facing upward, the upper side of bulb ... there was no option to select bulb with wire facing downward, below bulb ... any thoughts? comments? suggestions? Tx
Caused by the lens being designed for halogen bulbs, not HID which use a different projector assembly. The factory bulb is also a 35W, so be ready for some lens discoloring from the excess heat of the 50W bulb.....
Old 11-07-2018, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

2007 Boxter S HID Conversion

... tx for the response ... manufacturer (Mirimoto) states igniter wire external to bulb '.. probable cause of shadow..' ... when I purchased kit, there was no choice selecting wire location above or below install ... altho I agree with your comment rel to higher heat level (obviously) generated if bulb is 50W vs 35W, manufacturer says no problem?? also, they've obviously had consumer 'shadowing complaints', as they now offer both top vs bottom ignition wire configurations!! guess I lose!!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Science is NOT optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
I suggest posting this in our 986 forum, it is dedicated to just the Boxster/Cayman.

Porsche Boxster and Cayman Discussion Forum, DIY Technical Advice, Parts and Cars for Sale - Welcome to the 986 Forum!

Do we need a different log in for this forum? Is it a Pelican forum?
Old 11-11-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: