Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil in spark plug receptacle

Just purchased my boxster a couple weeks ago and decided to change plugs. Used anti seize when I installed new plugs. Now I find not supposed to use anti seize so I decided to remove plugs and clean spark plugs hoping to eliminate most of anti seize. Spark plug on driver side middle found oil. Oil not there a couple weeks ago. Could I have damaged something causing oil and if so what do I need to do to repair?

Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdog View Post
Just purchased my boxster a couple weeks ago and decided to change plugs. Used anti seize when I installed new plugs. Now I find not supposed to use anti seize so I decided to remove plugs and clean spark plugs hoping to eliminate most of anti seize. Spark plug on driver side middle found oil. Oil not there a couple weeks ago. Could I have damaged something causing oil and if so what do I need to do to repair?
What year Boxster? And yes, you SHOULD have used anti seize on the plugs.....
Old 10-26-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Are we to ignore Porsches technical bulletin to not use anti seize?
Old 10-27-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
Are we to ignore Porsches technical bulletin to not use anti seize?
Yes, once again proving the everything you may read does not necessarily apply.

Porsche’s bulletin on the use of anti seize came as the result of many European anti seize being switched to non metallic and dielectric in nature formulations for environmental reasons, which can reduce current flow across the plug gaps, and lead to misfire issues. North American anti seize are for the most part based on fine metal paste (aluminum, copper, and nickel), and therefore both electrically and thermally conductive, eliminating the electrical problems.

And if you have ever pulled plugs out of aluminum heads after lots of miles, and found the plug threads that used to be in the heads still attached to the plugs, you would understand why the use of anti seize is critical. We change literally hundreds of plugs every year, in everything from lawn mowers to Ferrari’s, and they all get anti seize, and not one has ever come back for misfire issues, or ever had the plug removal destroy the threads in the cylinder heads. Anti seize is cheap insurance.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-27-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Old 10-27-2018, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I found oil in the spark plug well of my friend's '98. I replaced the plastic tubes with aluminum. I could have used stock plastic tubes but two cracked taking them out to replace the O-rings. Aluminum tubes will expand and contract the same as the motor.
Even silicone O-rings will eventually take a set.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Interesting, I recently changed plugs on my 98 base. Did not use anti sieze because of the bulletin and many who advised against it. I have Permatex anti seize, the silvery paste. Will do some more checking and possibly consider its use next time. Have extensive records on this car from the previous owner ( high mileage 234k), the plugs have been changed almost precisely on the recommended interval. Curiously, the plug tubes apparently have never been changed. I tried two different extraction tools and could not remove the tubes, they are not leaking. Talk about the o rings taking a seat!

Old 10-27-2018, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: