Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cylinder Misfire 1, 3, and 5

Hey all,

I have a 2008 Boxster S Limited Edition and after not driving for a few weeks, I get back in it to find the check engine light flashing at first, then it turned to a solid.

I backed it out of the garage, the idle was pretty rough. I didn't attempt to drive it but I did read the codes. It had 3 pending codes, all cylinder misfires on 1, 3, and 5.

I've seen on here that it can be a multitude of various issues. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That could be a sign of needing new coil paks. When I have taken my car out of winter storage, it ran rough on start up and threw a CEL. I let it rough idle for a while until it warmed up. I shut it off and started it up about 1/2 later. It ran on all cyl's. The CEL did not come back on. I replaced the coil paks and did not have the same problem this spring when I fired it back up.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetarga View Post
That could be a sign of needing new coil paks. When I have taken my car out of winter storage, it ran rough on start up and threw a CEL. I let it rough idle for a while until it warmed up. I shut it off and started it up about 1/2 later. It ran on all cyl's. The CEL did not come back on. I replaced the coil paks and did not have the same problem this spring when I fired it back up.
Mine was coding for misfire on cyl 5. You could hear the misfire in the exhaust. I replaced all the old coil packs with NGK (made in Germany) and twin tip iridium plugs. From Rock & Roll Auto, btw.

Codes are gone, audible misfire is gone. Ol Ferdie would be happy with the way it's running!

Nothing quite like a comprehensive, expensive tune up!
Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
johnsonj

Garage
Hi,

On my 07 Cayman S I had a very rough idle and misfires my issue turned out to the be AOS.

This is a link to my post about it, hope the info is helpful in identifying the cause.

My AOS Failure Symptoms
81 928 Euro
07 Cayman S
Old 11-30-2018, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the replies,

I ended up warming it up by driving about 10mph through my neighborhood, turned it off and let it sit for about half an hour, cleared the codes, and afterwards it ran fine.

I will probably look into changing the coil packs in the spring time when I drive the car more frequently.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
boxster , cylinder , misfire , porsche