Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Top bangs

Hear Loud bang when top goes up and again when down. Yet with my hand up in roof hand hold opening closes ok. Think plastic gears having issue? Thanks
Old 12-11-2018, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello - take a look at the links below. They are 2 DIY tech articles on the convertible top; hopefully this will help you troubleshoot the issue and hopefully resolve it. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/BODY_Convertible_Top_Gear_Replacement/BODY_Convertible_Top_Gear_Replacement.htm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair.htm
Old 12-11-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the DIY information. I am sure it will be helpful in the future. However, finally got around to trying to figure out the loud bank and find the rod on the black looking piston blew off almost destroying the brass attachment clip. Think roof is out of alighment causing this. When I raise the roof driver side lags alittle at the windshield and I use my hand to align. How would you suggest I allign it. Can I make adjustment with motor cable off using my electric drill very carefully?
Are the clips available at pelican? Thanks for all your help. I am new to all this.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Take off the clamshell and lay it on the pavement. Are all four corners contacting the pavement? If not, it's tweaked and needs to be straightened. While the clamshell is off, try cycling the top. Still clunking, you need to synchronize the transmissions. With a little help (an assistant) you can untweak the clamshell. Grab it by all 4 corners and twist it to make all of them touch when you put it on a flat surface.

I'm going thru all this BS, too. Need to get as close to basic as you can. Synchronize the transmissions, and make sure the linkages to the top are both the same length. One side has to precisely mirror the other side!

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 12-19-2018 at 07:08 AM..
Old 12-18-2018, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If 1 of the push rods (see below) are off, the other one that is connected will be doing all the work and may cause things to go cock-eyed. The push rod cap is the weak link in the system so it breaks first, saving the gears in the transmission from breaking and causing expensive damage.

The end caps on the push rods are for sale, but it might be better to buy the entire push rod as they seem to bend quite easily. And there's a chance your working rod could now be bent, so you might need to replace both of them.

I just did this to an 09 Boxster S I purchased. The right rod was off and the top was going up and down using the left rod. It would make a knock sound in this scenario. I bought a new rod to replace the broken right rod but having the new one, it looked like my left rod might be bent even though it was still on the ball cap. So I bought a 2nd rod and replaced the left rod. It was definitely bent, as you can see in the pic.

Once I had two straight rods on, the top went up and down without funky noises and the clamshell fits tight.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green

Last edited by husker boxster; 12-19-2018 at 06:27 AM..
Old 12-19-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
If 1 of the push rods (see below) are off, the other one that is connected will be doing all the work and may cause things to go cock-eyed. The push rod cap is the weak link in the system so it breaks first, saving the gears in the transmission from breaking and causing expensive damage.

The end caps on the push rods are for sale, but it might be better to buy the entire push rod as they seem to bend quite easily. And there's a chance your working rod could now be bent, so you might need to replace both of them.

I just did this to an 09 Boxster S I purchased. The right rod was off and the top was going up and down using the left rod. It would make a knock sound in this scenario. I bought a new rod to replace the broken right rod but having the new one, it looked like my left rod might be bent even though it was still on the ball cap. So I bought a 2nd rod and replaced the left rod. It was definitely bent, as you can see in the pic.

Once I had two straight rods on, the top went up and down without funky noises and the clamshell fits tight.
Mine were all bent, and the sliders for the clam shells were broken. I put my top up the other day and the clam shell jammed. Back to the drawing board, but for now I've got everything disconnected and can raise and lower the clam shell and the top by hand.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: