Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

98 2.5l - Couple of codes

Have a 98 Boxster I'm slowly bringing back to life.

Just bought a Durametric to chase down some codes. (Great tool BTW, and worth the money for those who like to tinker).

Codes are P1602 and P0102.

Symptoms are as follows:
-CEL (obviously)
-Smells like it's over fueling when it's cold. But after it warms up, goes like a champ.

The SAI runs fine, the K&N air filter recently cleaned (and no, it's not over-oiled). AOS has been replaced, So has the Coolant tank.

I initially suspected O2 senor issues, until I read the codes.

It seems like I might need a new MAF? But before I try that, has anyone got any idea on why I would get this combination of codes?

Also, regarding MAF, has anyone had luck sourcing an MAF from the "corporate parts bin" ? I have read a few posts where people have found VW or Audi MAFs for a lot less and have had luck.

Thanks 986forum for all the support so far. I'm having fun!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzorro View Post
Have a 98 Boxster I'm slowly bringing back to life.

Just bought a Durametric to chase down some codes. (Great tool BTW, and worth the money for those who like to tinker).

Codes are P1602 and P0102.

Symptoms are as follows:
-CEL (obviously)
-Smells like it's over fueling when it's cold. But after it warms up, goes like a champ.

The SAI runs fine, the K&N air filter recently cleaned (and no, it's not over-oiled). AOS has been replaced, So has the Coolant tank.

I initially suspected O2 senor issues, until I read the codes.

It seems like I might need a new MAF? But before I try that, has anyone got any idea on why I would get this combination of codes?

Also, regarding MAF, has anyone had luck sourcing an MAF from the "corporate parts bin" ? I have read a few posts where people have found VW or Audi MAFs for a lot less and have had luck.

Thanks 986forum for all the support so far. I'm having fun!
P1602 is for power interruption to the DME; this could be anthing from the battery being disconnected to an interruption in your wiring harness.

P0102 is for the MAF reading below its lower limits.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
P1602 is for power interruption to the DME; this could be anthing from the battery being disconnected to an interruption in your wiring harness.

P0102 is for the MAF reading below its lower limits.
Thanks.

P1602 could be from issues related to my CLU. I have Qumulus lined up to repair the board once I get around to it. Car runs and drives, but there are other gremlins like door lock and power windows don't work. I'll clear the code and see what happens.

P0102 is reading below limits? Does that mean replacement time? Or something else? Would that have something to do with the overfuelling smell?
Old 12-19-2018, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzorro View Post
Thanks.

P1602 could be from issues related to my CLU. I have Qumulus lined up to repair the board once I get around to it. Car runs and drives, but there are other gremlins like door lock and power windows don't work. I'll clear the code and see what happens.

P0102 is reading below limits? Does that mean replacement time? Or something else? Would that have something to do with the overfuelling smell?
Only way to find out is to scan the car with a Porsche specific scan tool such as the Durametric and read both the MAF values and the fuel trims to see if they are out of bounds.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Only way to find out is to scan the car with a Porsche specific scan tool such as the Durametric and read both the MAF values and the fuel trims to see if they are out of bounds.
I'll scan them and get back to you! I just picked up a Durametric. Great tool.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I posted some numbers of what the MAF sensor should read with a volt meter.
Cheap MAFs are either rebuilt or made in China. You take your chances with those. How long do you want it to last?
Look up the Bosch number on line. Be sure to get the one for that year, the number changed around 2001(?).
Old 12-20-2018, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So my durametric reads the MAF at 0.98 V. And p0102 code still. Does not change if car is cold or hot. Stays exactly the same.

The other code is gone.

Last edited by zzorro; 12-22-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Old 12-22-2018, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: