Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question about opening the front hood with dead battery

To be clear this is a 2000 Boxster.

I have read all of the treads on the pull cable behind the front wheel, the pull out clamp on the fuse block and the C3 fuse tip.

I will be driving four hours to help get the car started so I don't have access to look for my self and I wanted to take the correct tools for the job.

Can some one please confirm if :
1. If a 2000 has the pull out plug down on the fuse block that will allow us to camp a external battery to so we can unlock the front trunk?
2. Does a 2000 have a C3 fuse and can it be used for the same reason?
3. Will the cigarette lighter plug tip work for a 2000? Does the key need to be turned on?
4. Some say the pull cable release is behind the left front wheel and some say it is behind the right front headlight. Where is it located on a US LHD 2000? Does the wheel need to be removed. If so I will need to take a jack and tools to remove front wheel.

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-20-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Here is a collection of postings with various methods that work. Print and take it with you.

The pull cable is on the right when you are sitting in the drivers seat, left when standing in front of the car.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Here is a collection of postings with various methods that work. Print and take it with you.

The pull cable is on the right when you are sitting in the drivers seat, left when standing in front of the car.
Thanks Mike, I did find that earlier and I did print it for the trip, but I didn't notice where it said that it worked for the 2000. I also read were some folks said their 2000 model didn't have this fuse or the pull out bit and I just wanted to find out for sure.

Thanks again for the info
Rick
Old 12-20-2018, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There's a hot link in the fuse box for jumping the car with enough power to pop the hood. I've used the hood release cable, it's inboard of the right headlight and mine doesn't require removing the wheel. Using a plug into the lighter might week, I think it would require having the ignition on or at the very least in accessory mode (key on, key off, don't pull the key out.)

The AAA service guy had no problem getting into the trunk by jumping to the fuse box, btw.

When all else fails, check your owners manual. Mine is an 01 base boxster.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 12-28-2018 at 07:26 AM..
Old 12-28-2018, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Many

Garage
2004 Boxster S.
I jumped the fuse box today, using jumper cables. Attach the neg to the door latch little metal bar. The positive to the C3 fuse inside the fuse box. Other end to the pos and neg terminals of a small 12v motorcycle battery. ( I happened to have one handy) Interior lights came on. Good sign. Hit the lid switch and bingo it opened.

That still left the dead battery. Jumped it off a Honda Civic after letting the Civic charge the Boxster for 5- 10 min at 3000rpm's. Boxster fired.

Took the Boxster for a nice fast ride for 30 min. Problem solved. Still not sure what drained my new battery to begin with. Left the key in the ignition in my garage for 6 days. Didn't drive it. Could that be the problem? Won't do that again.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: