Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Overfilling a Boxster M96 Oil

Okay, this one may have been beaten to a pulp, but I am getting conflicting information. Two years ago just before Christmas 2016 I bought a very nice 2002 Boxster S. 43,XXX on the car, about 20,000 miles on a new engine replaced in warranty by Porsche.

In February of 2017 I changed the oil after only sparingly driving it. I was present when the oil was drained and we looked at the filter innards, all was well.

Between that time and now I have driven it mostly around town, one trip out to see a friend in East Texas, on those nice smooth curvy blacktop roads. Then in October of this year 2018 the electronic oil level gauge on the dash was showing consistently two bars down, and then three bars down so I decided to top it up.

Sources tell me that when the motor is cold from sitting overnight, it should always show one bar down, after adding most of a quart it shows full. When cold. Should I worry? Have I overfilled?

I solicit opinions and findings from the readership. Thanks! Doug
Old 12-27-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Any indications of new oil leaks? How about smoking, especially on start up?
Old 12-27-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Reply to your note

No, the engine has never had a leak at all, and smoking on startup is something I have never seen. I owned a 1983 911 back in the 90s and remember how those were.

If it gets to having to remove oil I can do that in my garage, just casting around here for other experience and insights with the M96.

Thanks! Doug
Old 12-27-2018, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It has been a few years since I owned my 2001 Boxster base. I imagine the principles are the same for the base engine versus the S engine.

I would put oil in to the point where it was a couple of bars below full. Let it sit overnight or go for a drive to warm up the oil to the point where the oil is hot.

Now the oil after you have driven it will likely expand as it gets hotter. You don't want oil below the fill line and you don't want it over full.

Alternately you could completely drain it and consult your owner's manual and find out the oil capacity. Fill it to a quart or two below the recommended capacity. Then look at the oil guage and only put in small increments so you don't overfill it.

If you overfill I used to remove the oil filter and out came about a half litre. That may be enough to adjust the level. Removing the oil sump plug produces a vast gush of oil and it is hard to reinsert the plug with hot oil gushing out. I used to remove the oil filter often enough to check for debris in the oil filter. It gets easier the more you do it. Cheers, Guy
Old 12-27-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Been down this route before. Year before last I overfilled slightly and did the remove the filter housing maneuver, a PIA!

Last year similar circumstances and I decided to try something different, a small hand transfer pump from Harbor Freight and some 1/4" diameter nylon tubing from Ace Hardware. Enough length of nylon tubing to snake down the dipstick tube to the bottom of the sump. Note: this is not possible with the oil fill tube as there are a couple of 90 degree bends. Worked great.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Panorama says 1 empty bar = full,..December Issue 2018 ( Tech Q & A )
Old 12-27-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Indeed, saw that too and I'll take their experts word as gospel.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Your oil is a couple of years old and you only drive the car sparingly?

Time for an oil change. I assume you're using a synthetic. Oil should be changed every xxxx number of miles or once a year. Filters are cheap, do that too. Driving small miles doesn't get the motor hot enough and leaves water vapors in the oil which can turn to acids.

When I replace the oil, I pretty carefully measure the quantity and only put in what is specified for an oil change. Also, check your oil level with the dip stick with the oil hot. I don't trust the idiot light on the dash.

I have one of those factory reman'd engines. Had it out at 80 mph yesterday. Woo hoo! Mine's a 2.7, it's a very nice running motor.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 12-28-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

To describe what I have learned from here and also locally: I bought the car in December of 2016 and by February of 2017 I was advised by my shop to definitely change it before the hot weather came, which here in Dallas is in the April timeframe. They said the existing motor oil in it was not an immediate issue, but I had it changed in February of 2017 just the same.

During the intervening time, checking the oil on a fairly regular basis, by October 2018 I noticed it could be down a bar or two per the electronic dash gauge, but not consistently. Talking with my shop I was told it all depends on when it is checked. Stone cold in the morning when all the oil has gone to the sump is not the way, nor is relying on the dash gauge - the stick will give a better reading. I think Porsche also says this. I had been relying on the dash gauge too much.

I was advised to run the car from cold for about five minutes, then shut it down and let it sit for a couple, then check for a more meaningful reading. What I see on the stick is now perfectly fine.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Brian in tucson,..who do you take your car to in Tucson,.?? Thanks

Sorry for the Hi-jack
Old 12-28-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I don't take it to anyone in Tucson, I live in Dallas. I consider the matter closed at this point. But thanks for all the info from the membership! D
Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Brian in tucson,..who do you take your car to in Tucson,.?? Thanks

Sorry for the Hi-jack
Not a hijack anymore. I do mostly my own work so I don't have a shop. I've had a good relationship with Mike at Perfection Auto Works, Kind of a gritty shop, but very busy and Mike is a good guy and knows his stuff. The other one I've dealt with is Group One Motowerks---they are the more prestige (spendier) Eurocar repair in Tucson.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: