Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Very strange Boxster Electrical Problem

At least it sounds strange to me
We keep a 2006 Boxster Base model at our place in Scottsdale and our neighbor who checks our place for us said the cars windows were both cracked open....kind of like when the top goes down. and the spoiler was in the up position.
The car is in a garage and was parked with windows up and spoiler down.
Anybody ever had this happen?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Somebody on Rennlist just said it could be a low battery.
Its fairly new, within a year, but my wife drives the car, and it goes on a lot of very short trips.....might be hard on the battery. Then we are gone for one to three weeks at a time. this time we have been gone for about 2.5 weeks.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm a hobbyist Wheeler Dealer and I picked up a base 09 Boxster last spring. It never sounded too enthusiastic when starting, so I put a charger on the battery. It would come right back up but 2-3 days later was dragging again. The battery was 1.5 yrs old, so I was sure I had some sort of drain going on. I was all set to do a full blown drain search when a smart man (JFP in PA) told me to start with the basics first. I had 2 places test the battery, even tho it was still relatively new, and both places said it was bad. I bought a new battery, problem solved. So even tho your battery is still relatively new, it would be wise to have it checked as your first step.

If your battery checks out OK, you might consider the ignition switch. When they go bad, they'll cause all kinds of whacky electrical oddities.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
This whole thing is a bit tough to work out as I am stuck in Seattle and I have my wife doing the diagnosis long distance. She's not afraid to work on stuff....but gets a bit frustrated when mechanical crap pops up.
Sent her with a tester and the battery was completely dead! She grabbed a new AGM and installed it, and everything lit up. Funny thing, while I was talking to her on the phone I could hear a clunking, turned out the spoiler was trying to lower but seemed to be stuck....just kept cycling......most likely why the battery was dead. Spoiler would keep trying to lower while car was off. Don't know the specific timeline of events, but when she put the battery in, the dash said "Failure Spoiler Control" and "System Fault Visit Workshop". Now the car has power, the spoiler continues to cycle, the left tail light stays on, and the rear trunk won't open.
To me it sounds like there is an obstruction keeping the spoiler up, but she couldn't see one (she lost patience for looking pretty quick although). But the weird thing is the tail light is on, which shouldn't have anything to do with the spoiler. The trunk could be locked down for the same reason the spoiler is up?

Does any of this sound remotely familiar to anyone? Seems like a good puzzle
Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

All of that could be explained but a ground wire issue or a short. All of those connections could share a similar ground. I'd start there myself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2019, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It could be the ECM under the drivers seat. I have a 2006 Boxster S and replaced the ECM for a right tail light staying lit and the "System Fault Visit Workshop" message. I bought a used ECM from a same year Boxster and all's well.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: