Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1998 Boxster gauges just went crazy

I am looking to see if anyone has any ideas on what I can do to trouble shoot my 1998 Boxster gauge cluster. I got in the car 3 days ago and started the car which seems to run fine. Problem is my odometer and trip counter reset to zero, Tach and RPM gauges don't work, digital tach seems to be about 20 miles per hour faster than I appear to be going, temp gauge now reads 72.5 C and the temp and fuel needles cross.

When car is running no other fault lights were illuminated. Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd first make sure the electrical system is charging properly. You get weird electrical issues with low voltage. It should be charging 13-14 volts back to the battery when running.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyNeil View Post
I'd first make sure the electrical system is charging properly. You get weird electrical issues with low voltage. It should be charging 13-14 volts back to the battery when running.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Electrical system is charging between 13-14 VAC. Today when I was checking that I heard a faint chirp right when I started it. Almost like an alarm notice of some sort.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

do a load check on your battery.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASair View Post
do a load check on your battery.
Battery is brand new 2 weeks old but I will try that.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC3 View Post
Battery is brand new 2 weeks old but I will try that.
then make sure all connections to the new battery are tight.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: