Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
oil separator failure - Can I limp to the garage?

Hi,

In the 101 tips book and on the Pelican web it suggests that you can isolate the separator by detaching the top hose and blocking off both ends - but only for diagnosis.

In order to stop every yokel trying to flag me down and tell me the car is on fire can I use this technique to drive to the garage (8 miles) without further damage?

Is it just the case that some petrol vapor might end up in the oil?

Also in the parts diagram item 5 which is the bit that tells you things are broken when it is wet with oil connects to a Y-piece on my 2002 a bit like the diagram on the left, but I think I should have what looks like the part on the right.

Does anyone know the history of these divergent diagrams?

Is the one on the left from a later model and one of the seven owners before me has upgraded it?

Cheers

Adrian

Last edited by adrianw; 03-13-2019 at 12:28 PM..
Old 03-13-2019, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi,

I used two conical rubber bungs normally used by plummers when changing a radiator in a house to plug either side of the oil separator aparatus. (plus a few zip ties)

I was then able to start the car and get it to the garage about 8 miles away.

The smoking had stopped by the time I got there.

On closer inspection of the oil sperator I can see that it is part 10 on the right diagram and that I have a part 5 from the left diagram - so my worries over having the wrong part have subsided.

Cheers

Adrian
Old 03-14-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The one on the right is the correct one.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: