Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Carpet and interior replaced. Manual mode not working on Auto and mystery connector

So, I've tried asking this over on 986 forums and GRM with no luck. The Boxster (and 996) forums don't get much traffic here, but I'm still hoping.

I've now got my 99 auto (yes, I appear to be THE person who is interested in DIYing an auto Boxster) back together after having the complete interior (not dash) out after it filled up with water due to blocked drains. It was so bad that the doors were cycleing lock/unlock several times a second and there was a buzzing coming from the speakers. Everything has been dried out now and put back together. But I still have some issues.

First I now have an airbag warning light. I was aware of the risk of that if you turned on the ignition with the seat modules unplugged it could trigger, even though this car is old enough not to have seat airbags. I was really careful, but I forgot when I needed to open the roof. I think the only way out of this is to go to the dealer to clear it correct. Major bummer with as I"ve just been downsized for the first time in 30 years and I don't want to spend money on something like that until I get a new job.

Next is a spare connector under the passenger (right hand) seat. I can't find where it goes and I'm sure it was connected to something in November when I took it apart.

Last edited by Adrian Thompson; 03-27-2019 at 02:30 PM..
Old 03-27-2019, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Final issue is the biggest. It drives great, but I can't select manual shift mode on the auto. I pull it across to the manual mode, but it still shows D on the (dash LED) PRNDL and the buttons on the steering wheel do nothing. I assume I must have missed plugging something in under the center console, but I don't know what. As it's an auto there's not much available on line, people don't seem to DIY auto Boxsters much. I think I may just have to take it all back apart again and look.

BTW, No, I don't believe it's the same mystery connector under the passenger seat though.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Now, that was a few days ago. Nothing since then. I've got the center console out right now. I don't see anything missing, unplugged. Here's a shot of the shifter in M rather than D and you can see the micro switch for manual mode is engaged, I've even tried jumping it with no luck. Any ideas? The car is insured and back on the road as of today so I need to get this sorted.

Thanks all.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Right now it's the shifter I need help with most.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Have you tested the micro switch for continuity? Would say there's a good chance the switch is toast. Used to be you could go to Radio Shack for replacements, but not sure where you go today. (Look at old-school me, I imagine Amazon probably has a replacement.) Regardless, the switch would be a simple item to replace and see if that fixes the problem.

You need something a bit more powerful than a garden variety code reader to erase the airbag light. I have an iCarsoft that is capable / advertised as being able to reset the airbag light. Haven't had to try that feature yet, but it works good at resetting the 'service oil' light on a 987.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - winter project
Old 03-28-2019, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes I've tested the micro switch and it's good. Thanks on the iCarsoft, I'm looking into that and other options.

thx
Old 03-28-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Were you able to get your problem sorted out and find out what the mystery connector is?

Old 01-06-2020, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: