Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Lightbulb 987 Boxster Spyder: Can I "deglaze" a slipping clutch that a valet nuked?

Last night I valet parked my car in a fancy restaurant. As the valet was pulling away, he did it with a lot of high revs and clutch feathering. (The lot he was going to was also on the other side of a steep SF hill, and though out of sight, I imagine he was doing the same thing based on what happened on the way home).

On the way home the car's clutch would slip when flooring it in 6th around 2500 rpms. The revs would rise a little too quickly and then the car's speed would "catch up" with the revs. It wouldn't happen every time with the same severity, but it would about 1/5 times.

Driving along at 35 mph and putting in 5th or 6th and then flooring it would not cause the clutch to slip, so it's not too severe... yet.

A friend suggested this could be clutch "glazing". That the valet polished the friction surface with heat and I could "deglaze" the clutch by intentionally wearing off surface via feathering the clutch for a few seconds at low revs while moving a low speed.

The car only has 16,000 miles, so there should be plenty of surface to go, right? Also, I'd rather not replace a clutch at such low miles if I can help it. Is deglazing a thing?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Other members will likely chime in with their experience. I've heard of this being done, but it seems that it only fixes the issue for a short amount of time until it starts slipping again.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You think he glazed your clutch by revs and feathering and now you're going to do the same thing to try to fix it? What's wrong with this picture?

I don't think it will work. If you can use the car the way it is, do it. But short of buying a new flywheel, disk, and pressure plate, nothing's going to restore your clutch to previous condition.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need a new clutch assembly.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
You think he glazed your clutch by revs and feathering and now you're going to do the same thing to try to fix it? What's wrong with this picture?

I don't think it will work. If you can use the car the way it is, do it. But short of buying a new flywheel, disk, and pressure plate, nothing's going to restore your clutch to previous condition.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need a new clutch assembly.
And you need to learn not to give the car to valets.....................
Old 04-04-2019, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
And you need to learn not to give the car to valets.....................
Or drive an automatic.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Or drive an automatic.
No, they still kill them as well...……………….
Old 04-04-2019, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
No, they still kill them as well...……………….
I never valet, too cheap! But if I do, I drive my prehistoric Prius. An overgrown golf cart!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

slipping clutch

OEM street clutch disk will heal itself. Drive the car normally and avoid excessive slippage and the clutch disk will clean itself. This has happened to several of my cars when I was teaching my kids how to drive stick.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: