Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bouncing idle, little hestitant at low speeds

I used to just throw new parts at a problem, but Porsche parts are a little bit more expensive So:

1) My 987.1 S has a rough idle. It bounces up/down 50rpm when everything is up to temperature. No shaking, no vibration, just a bouncing rpm needle.
2) The car doesn't feel 'smooth' at low speeds. It's a manual, and I know how to drive one, but it just needs that extra 'touch'. It hesitates a bit. Also, when the engine is cold the gearshifts take a little more attention (releasing the clutch, feeding in the power) to make it all go 100% smooth. She doesn't seem the be running 100% (and this is a dangerous statement, as I'm sure most other drivers wouldn't feel it).

The rough idle is like this (although the video isn't from a 987):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRKoAUirBo

The car has:
- a new MAF sensor
- the throttle body is original
- new sparkplugs
- the ignition coils are original

It does not throw any codes.

My feelings says it's either the throttle body, or the ignition coils. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Last edited by sid86; 04-03-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
One thing to check are the connections to the coil packs, especially #6 , right rear. Last year I had a similar issue and thats what it was.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
One thing to check are the connections to the coil packs, especially #6 , right rear. Last year I had a similar issue and thats what it was.
What symptons were you experiencing?
Old 04-04-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
[QUOTE=sid86;10415435]I used to just throw new parts at a problem, but Porsche parts are a little bit more expensive So:

1) My 987.1 S has a rough idle. It bounces up/down 50rpm when everything is up to temperature. No shaking, no vibration, just a bouncing rpm needle.
2) The car doesn't feel 'smooth' at low speeds. It's a manual, and I know how to drive one, but it just needs that extra 'touch'. It hesitates a bit. Also, when the engine is cold the gearshifts take a little more attention (releasing the clutch, feeding in the power) to make it all go 100% smooth. She doesn't seem the be running 100% (and this is a dangerous statement, as I'm sure most other drivers wouldn't feel it).

The rough idle is like this (although the video isn't from a 987):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRKoAUirBo

The car has:
- a new MAF sensor
- the throttle body is original
- new sparkplugs
- the ignition coils are original

It does not throw any codes.

My feelings says it's either the throttle body, or the ignition coils. Any ideas or similar experiences?[/QUOTE

Clean the throttle body with brake cleaner spray.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, so.... I talked to some more 'experts' and all pointed towards the throttle body. A new OEM part was only 150 euros, so I got one and installed it. The drive seems to be smoother, but time will tell. The bouncing idle needle however remains unchanged. This is with a warmed up engine:

Old 04-13-2019, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Got a Durametric?
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 04-22-2019, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
Got a Durametric?
No. I have a iCarsoft Porsche II which says there are no codes.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

It should have some real time graphs for things like AF mixture, timing, etc. I havenít used in on the POR II but watched things on my durametric to troubleshoot issues. I will hookup my carsoft and have a look.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
It should have some real time graphs for things like AF mixture, timing, etc. I havenít used in on the POR II but watched things on my durametric to troubleshoot issues. I will hookup my carsoft and have a look.
Thanks.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

OK hooked up my POR ii and can really see the difference between it and the Durametric. I really like the Durametric graph of real time data especially the cam shaft deviation so I can see if/when the IMS bearing is going.
The POR ii has some realtime data in ODB mode but they are limited fuel and o2 sensors, timing but only at cylinder 1, etc.

I knew it would be limited but I do like the quick and easy stuff its' good for rather than getting out a laptop.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I would be looking at MAF, Vacuum, O2 sensor, and Gas, you have changed out the MAF and plugs, so I would run some techron through the system.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: