Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Boxster serpentine belt tensioner

I have just replaced the tensioner pully on my 98 base. Torqued the nut to 44 ft/lbs per Wayne's book and used threadlock.
Working by myself, when I lever the tensioner clockwise I cannot get the belt over the last pulley because the tensioner bolt is slipping on the arm. I did not replace the bolt because that is a PIA. Is 44 ft/lbs the correct torque? Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
I have just replaced the tensioner pully on my 98 base. Torqued the nut to 44 ft/lbs per Wayne's book and used threadlock.
Working by myself, when I lever the tensioner clockwise I cannot get the belt over the last pulley because the tensioner bolt is slipping on the arm. I did not replace the bolt because that is a PIA. Is 44 ft/lbs the correct torque? Has anyone else encountered this problem?
The correct torque is actually 48 ft. lbs., but 4 ft. lbs. is not enough difference to cause it to slip. While removing the arm bolt is a bit of work, you can get around that by backing it off several turns, blue Loctite it, then retorque into the arm using a crows foot adaptor on the torque wrench. If it is turning in the arm, you will never get the belt back on.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, I'll give that a try today. Perhaps I misread the torque value in the book.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Picked up HF crow feet set today, the 15mm from the opening to the drive socket there was insuficient distance to use in this application. I will proceed with a box end. Probably not going to chase this dimension down. BTW the book torque was indeed 44 ft/lbs.

Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: