Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wandered off somewhere...

Garage
Old member New P car

Morning gents

I've been gone from Pelican for a while since I sold my SC several years ago but now back into ownership with a 2001 Boxster S... Red with tan leather and I love it so far. I did research the VIN and found that the shaft bearing issue has not been dealt with yet so that's likely the first thing I'll have done....Mine is six speed manual and only has 27K on the Odo so was a toy for most of it's life...two previous owners. Top looks new and tires look good but dunno how old they are yet. At my age, 75, and recent back surger in June it's a bit tough to get in/out of but is doable and things will get better.

Other than the bearing and routine service I'll welcome advice on what other things to have done.

Good to be back

Mark

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon..Crush Orange
Old 08-25-2019, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Welcome back! Enjoy the new ride.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats and welcome back. Best of luck with your "new" Porsche.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
One problem I am having is with the steering wheel adjustment lever... I need to telescope the wheel out a bit to make getting in easier. I move the lever out but the wheel will not move... Is there some trick to this or do these functions seize up on occasion..??

Thanks in advance

Dog

Old 08-25-2019, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Mind if I ask how to research the IMS issue repair from the VIN? I am just starting to look for a Boxster S (or Cayman, but I probably can't afford a Cayman right now)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdogface View Post
Morning gents

I've been gone from Pelican for a while since I sold my SC several years ago but now back into ownership with a 2001 Boxster S... Red with tan leather and I love it so far. I did research the VIN and found that the shaft bearing issue has not been dealt with yet so that's likely the first thing I'll have done....Mine is six speed manual and only has 27K on the Odo so was a toy for most of it's life...two previous owners. Top looks new and tires look good but dunno how old they are yet. At my age, 75, and recent back surger in June it's a bit tough to get in/out of but is doable and things will get better.

Other than the bearing and routine service I'll welcome advice on what other things to have done.

Good to be back

Mark
Old 08-26-2019, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdogface View Post
One problem I am having is with the steering wheel adjustment lever... I need to telescope the wheel out a bit to make getting in easier. I move the lever out but the wheel will not move... Is there some trick to this or do these functions seize up on occasion..??

Thanks in advance

Dog
Try to push it in first and if it moves, then pull it back towards you. Yes, sometimes they stick.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Check service records. Your car's enemy could be age and lack of use. Rubber items dry out (suspension bushings, motor mounts etc). A car with such little use, make sure items that "time" out also have been done (to me, that would be waterpump and belts)

When its cold out (say 40 or below) practice the "boxster chop" to keep the plastic rear window from cracking when lowering the top.

IMS retrofit/upgrade is a popular move too

As you mention, check the date on the tires.. Rears often wear out before fronts, so check all 4 as someone might have only replaced two tires recently...
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 08-27-2019, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the replies... I did finally get the wheel to come out...just not pulling hard enough and then it came out but it does move rather stiffly. I know/agree about old cars and belts and seals drying out. Taking it in tomorrow for a check up and then asap the IMS retrofit..maybe 30K service too. Don't know what the 'Boxster Chop' is but it will be garaged in winter and likely not driven with top down, but will drive it regularly to keep things moving and battery charged, etc. If one of you would tell me about the 'chop' I'll do what you say. Top looks newish so replacing it with glass window will be done eventually but it's too spendy to do it now...plus the glass window is smaller

Dogut

Just googled the Boxster chop and now have it...pain but needs to be done I guess

Last edited by Drdogface; 08-27-2019 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: More info
Old 08-27-2019, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The chop requires you, while the roof is about "1/2" way open, to "chop" the rear window. It will bow and curl. You want to help it take its "natural" folded shape while in the process of lowering the top. As the plastic ages, it can get brittle. If the car/air is cold enough and you put the top down quickly, it can crack the plastic is all.

If storing for more than 2-3 weeks, I suggest putting the battery on a tender. The battery is in the front trunk. If you lose power, you cant open the trunk. See where I am going? However, iirc, you can remove the fuse panel cover and "boost" the system which would allow you to open the frunk, short of doing a traditional battery jump start. There is also an emergency wire located behind the fender liner on the drivers side.. but its easiest accessed by removing the tire.. which requires tools, which are likely locked in the trunk
Old 08-27-2019, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Just took it in today for routine check up since it's new to me. They find water evidence of leakage so advise replaceing it... Well, Ok how much for that... $2000.. !!! To replace a water pump... Really This is normally a good shop, does good work and is highly recommended by locals but this seems way outrageous to replace a water pump ...

What say you guys ?

Dog

Old 08-28-2019, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Get another estimate. I did the pump on my 08 S in about 3 hours.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sounds a little high. What is their shop rate? $150/hr? 200/hr?

I would guess this should be closer to $900-1200. Of course, there is always the DIY opportunity.

I would guess parts to be in the $400-500 range (belts, tensioners water pump, thermostat etc) and another 3-4 hour labor charge.. that would be roughly $1100.. So, yeah, $2K seems a little high. IIRC, you do need to remove at least the passenger seat to access the hatch to access the belt/pump
Old 08-30-2019, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Takes me maybe an hour to replace the water pump & I never remove a seat.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I did mine in probably the same time with getting the fluid right. Part was about 140.
I never put my roof down below 60 and the chop is just to get the top to fold better. It tends to not just fold so I use to lower a small bit, check window for creases, repeat and repeat again.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

3 hrs not 1. 1 is impressive.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Shop rate is $145/hr...Guess I got taken for a lot of $$

Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: