Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

986 motor mount

I bought the new motor mount for my 02' 986 2.7,.But I did not buy the shims,.will the upgraded factory mount require the shims,.?? pelican says yes,..

but the press in mount does not require shims so Iam told,..true or false. Thanks Frank
Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just changed the motor mount on my 2003 3.2 and though I do not know, I suspect it is very much like your 2002 2.7. I think what you are calling shims are the thick rubber like pads each side of the mount. I bought them not knowing what to expect and found that I wasted my money because those side pads are sort of bumpers for extreme movement of the engine. My pads were like brand new so I didn't need to replace them.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ahh ok..thanks how long did that job take..?? Thanks Frank
Old 11-07-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
In addition to up and down vibration, the engine also has rocking forces side to side from the crown-wheel pinion which are predominantly taken up by the transmission mounts, but I could picture the front of the engine having some movement. The shims would seem to help to ensure isolation of the mount from the chassis.

I'm pretty sure that I've got a bad engine mount in my car too and I suspect that under load the engine is rocking side-to-side because I can hear a rumble when the engine is under load above 4K rpm, but only in top gear. What is different between 5th gear and the others? The total load on the engine. A sudden lift-off of the throttle at that speed will also result in more rumble as (I suspect) the engine rocks back in the other direction on overrun.

Just my $0.02 of what is happening.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 11-07-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

for my issue it seems to be moving around if I get on it fairly hard there is definite movement in the engine bay and its starts to vibrate just as I hit 80 MPH and it stays until I slow down...so mount is the first thing for me to check out ! Thanks
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Reuse the parts from the old motor mount. It will be okay. I had a machine shop down near the University press the old one out and press the new one in. As I remember it was about $30.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
ahh ok..thanks how long did that job take..?? Thanks Frank
Took me about 2 hours
Old 11-12-2019, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a picture of the motor mount that I took out of my car next to the new one from our host (which has a 987... part number).

1) You can see how the mount from the car is cracked almost the whole way around
2) You can also see how Porsche redesigned the insert with a different arrangement for the hub and the rubber portion.
3) When replacing the inserts, note that there is a specific alignment when putting it into the carrier. I used a couple of bolts dropped through the holes of both units to make sure that they were aligned the same way. Then I used a sharpie to mark the outside of the new insert with a mark which needs to be aligned with a corresponding mark that I placed on the carrier. If you put it in wrong, you'll have a bunch of work removing the insert and then figuring out the right way to align it without the alignment of the old insert for reference.
Actually -- looking at the picture just now I can see that there is a notch in the carrier that aligns with the closest side of insert. No need for a sharpie!
4) I was able to remove the mount and cradle fairly easily from my car without draining the coolent. It looks like the hoses underneath it are fairly new since they were still supple.
5) Removing the studs helps since it will give you an extra degree of freedom in getting out from the car. The studs have a clever design with a hex head on them. You can just use a 7 mm socket to remove any which don't come out on their own, or to reinstall them.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: