Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Hot as hell! (Cooling issues)

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum but am a long-time car enthusiast/home mechanic. My father gave me his 2003 base model Boxster to me as a gift. I had it shipped up to me from NC to PA via trucking service. Less than a year ago he replaced the thermostat, water pump, all coolant hoses and of course coolant. I took shipment of the car today and it is running really hot now (red light on the temp gauge). It was just fine before he shipped it. I doubt that it has anything to do with the trucking company so don't mistake that for a "red herring". I have checked all of the radiators for blockages (leaves, plastic bags,etc.) and all of the fans are running. My Dad told me that the engine "ran cold" even after he replaced the thermostat. So why the sudden hot running? If anyone can help me solve this mystery I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

If you have already run the engine in to the red overheat light, you probably bigger issues than why it is running hot..................................good luck!
Old 07-17-2020, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I hear you. I did stop the car as soon as the red light came on and let it cool down for 20 minutes before getting it home (3 min. drive) with no additional light. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

You probably got air into the system crack the bleed valve on the expansion tank and there are a couple up by the radiators
Old 07-20-2020, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Good news! The problem was the water pump. It had a plastic impeller that disintegrated. I checked the receipts and my frugal dad bought the pump from the company that starts with rock and ends with auto for the low, low price of $89. I replaced it with a genuine Porsche pump with the metal impeller. The best news is that the the head isn't cracked. I stopped it in time to keep from going into full meltdown mode. I checked the coolant for exhaust gasses twice and it passed both times. Plus, there is no coolant in the oil...thanks to the Porsche gods. Anyway I just wanted to give some closure to this post since I hate when people don't get back with their solution/conclusions. Lesson for the day. Don't cheap out on parts. Especially when you have to take out the seats and remove the firewall to replace them. Thanks for the input folks.

Last edited by mechanism; 08-14-2020 at 04:25 PM..
Old 08-14-2020, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanism View Post
Good news! The problem was the water pump. It had a plastic impeller that disintegrated. I checked the receipts and my frugal dad bought the pump from the company that starts with rock and ends with auto for the low, low price of $89. I replaced it with a genuine Porsche pump with the metal impeller. The best news is that the the head isn't cracked. I stopped it in time to keep from going into full meltdown mode. I checked the coolant for exhaust gasses twice and it passed both times. Plus, there is no coolant in the oil...thanks to the Porsche gods. Anyway I just wanted to give some closure to this post since I hate when people don't get back with their solution/conclusions. Lesson for the day. Don't cheap out on parts. Especially when you have to take out the seats and remove the firewall to replace them. Thanks for the input folks.
You might be interested in the fact the Porsche NEVER used a metal impeller style water pump, and for very good reasons....................
Old 08-15-2020, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Like perhaps the metal impeller chewing into the aluminum block when the pump bearings fail?

Old 08-17-2020, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: