Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

high miler

There's a 98 in my area for a decent price, but it has 150k miles on it. Lots supposedly done to it....Shaft bearing in the engine, O2 sensors, MAF, crank seal, thermostat, water pump and alt, brake pads.....

Decent deal if the price is right, or too much mileage and walk away? Missing any major maintenance?

Old 10-10-2020, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

You want to hear it on cold start up. The early cars could also have chain rail wear that rattles or lifter bleed down from sitting over night and also rattle on start up. I’d spend a couple hundred to have a indy Porsche shop do a pre-purchase inspection. Major work on the engine or trans could be more expensive that the car. The PPI is money well spent.
Was the clutch done with the IMS bearing? Which IMS bearing was used? Are there maintenance records? You know, pay me now or pay me later. We used to say about air cooled 911’s (before they skyrocketed in price) that they’re all $20k cars. Cheap ones need repairs and the good ones get top dollar. They all end up to be market price at some point.
"Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools." Colin Chapman, Founder, Lotus F1
Old 10-11-2020, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Purchased a 98 four years ago tomorrow. Clutch, RMS and IMS (L&N) changed this year. The original IMS was retained, a double roll it exhibited no radial or axial play. It turned freely if a slight bit roughly (it had been completely degreased). Yes, it still rattles a bit on startup, runs strong and smooth and sounds great. 236000 miles.
Do you get the impression I enjoy this car?
Old 10-11-2020, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks guys, I will check that out.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Well, we dropped in this morning to look at it, and it came home with me.* $7000( $5332 USD).* I have a thick envelope of receipts, with the majority of the work being completed at the local Porsche dealership.* Unbelievably great used car guy to deal with, and I hate used car dealerships.* We went through everything, and he showed me all the little things you'd expect to see with an almost 20 year old car.* Clearcoat has some peeling issues, not much you can do about that.* No rattle on start up, no smoke, no chain noises, slight power steering whine, everything else checked out well.* PPI was done when it was taken on trade, unfortunately not by Porsche, but this is one tight little car. For the price they go for up here* (about $8k USD) I'm pretty happy with it.

​​​​​​​Thanks for all the info and replies.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Congratulations, that’s pretty close to what I paid for “Ruby”.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: