Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Boxster Spec Racing Series!

Jim Pasha wrote a nice article proposing a Boxster Spec racing series in the most recent Excellence mag (Sept. 2005). He's suggested a handful of rules to keep costs down, etc. I think it's pretty cool, but I'm curious to other's thoughts?

Here are some of the highlights...

"For the sake of availability and cost, limiting the series to early 2.5 cars (and 2.7s with weight penalties) probably makes the most sense."

Cars required to be road registered.

"A lightweight series-spec hard-top rendered in carbon fiber or, better yet, cheaper fiberglass would save considerable weight right where you need to most."

Many parts can be removed/replaced for weight loss, including carpeting, trunk trim, radios, sun visors, AC systems, stock seats...

"No substitution of bumper covers would be permissable."

"The stock rear spoiler would be the only rear wing allowed, but it could be permanently raised with it's power equipment deleted."

"The drivetrain should remain in stock condition. No "chips", no headers, and no exhaust modifications - with the possible exception of the factory sport muffler...The principle reason for this is to use the stock OBD II system to help police the class."

"...dry weight of 2450 lbs for 2.5s and a minimum weight of 2550 lbs for the 2.7s will probably make for a level playing field."

"The one engine modification worthy of considering is oiling...a relatively simple sump modification will go a long way toward solving this problem."

"Suspension...we'd limit competitors to factory components only. Factory M030 sport suspension pieces and a lowered right height (via European M030 springs) would be the maximum allowable modifications."

"Factory 986 traction control would be allowed."

"The stock ABS system must remain and be fully operable. As for the brakes themselves, 996 front calipers and rotors could be substituted and brake pads would be free."

"Wheels limited to 18". Also, to keep costs under control, competitors could be required to use one-piece factory wheels...max width 8" up front...10" rear...wheels and tires must fit under fenders...DOT approved street tire."

"All lights would be required to be fully operable....wipers must be in place and operable."

Jim covers a bit more detail on how some of the rules will help with cost reductions, etc. Overall I think it sounds like an exciting series. If you get a chance, pic up the mag and read the article. Maybe with enough support it will happen!

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 07-08-2005, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ok Doug -- I saw your comment over on the 911 board, so I'll respond.

Yep, I think Jim's got a good idea. As much fun as I have with my daily driver Boxster on the street, I'm sure a Boxster would make a really fun track car. In my case I've got this slippery slope DE RSR project, which I'd never let any Boxster replace. Need more money! Well it's time to head down to the corner store and buy that winning lottery ticket. If (when) I win, I'll build me a Pasha spec Boxster.

Jeremy
2011 Cayenne S
Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mike Lansky posted a quick message on the Boxster Racing Board. Here is my reply from over there.

Quote:
Haven't read the article, but will have to pick up a copy on the way home. I've been thinking about a Spec Boxster for better than a year now. I think Ethan's car would make a great model for the Spec. In the hands of a good driver, extremely quick.

Donor cars are still a bit pricey though (~$20K). Unless the Spec was targeted at 2.5L. Only 3 years worth of donors though. You'd have to allow 2.7's and in that case the 2.7 is the ideal car. Unless...

There's talk over on the POC board about a 911 Spec. To include 3.0L and 3.2L 78-89 911's. It looks like they are going to have different weights for the different engine sizes. Maybe that's the way to get 2.5 and 2.7 986's to be equal? Could we also add more weight to 3.2 cars to get them into the spec? Or are there just to many advantages of the 986S over the 986 to make it worth while?

http://www.porscheownersclub.org/mboard/thread-view.asp?threadid=884&start=1

How many people do you think would be intereted? I haven't seen very many 986 race cars on track so I have not been really pushing the idea. (You, me, Ethan, Dennis Puddester, and Chris Murray).

If we could get at least 8+ cars built and racing (or at least Time Trialing on their way to racing) I'm 90% sure POC would entertain adding a 986-Spec class. Are there enough serious racers in Cal., Nevada, and Arizona to make that commitment? It's too late now. But if we really want to push for it we can start outlining the specs and get it all ready for proposal in 2006 for the 2007 GCR's. In the mean time we could race, TT, DE in JP.

Mike, you and I would have to find buyers for our cars, but I would do what I could to be one of the 8 ASAP. I suspect Ethan would make small changes to fit his car into the class (if necessary). Steve is in the process of building an S, so I wouldn't think he would be willing to bail on that idea. Anyone else?
Without having read the article seems like we agree on a few things. But I would like to see more "race prep" allowed vs. keeping with all stock components. Something very much like what the 944 Spec has for the 944's.

For example I do not agree that we should only use stock M030 suspensions. Something cheap like H&R would be good enough.

Nor do I agree that exhaust and intake should be left unchanged. If for nothing else these cars should at least sound like race cars.

Aftermarket rear spoiler? You betcha. No way I would want to try and race someone through T1 & 2 at Cal Speedway or T8 @ WSIR without at least the Getty spoiler I have on there. Most assurdly need more down force than is available with the stock bumper and spoiler. It's a racecar, not a street car!

Spec tire for sure. But a "street tire" no way man. At least an RA-1 or Victoracer.

While I like the idea of a Spec Boxster, I think it should be faster than the vast majority of the street cars out there. What this Jim guy proposes wouldn't be.

'02 Boxster S #757 - PCA D Prepared - POC R5.
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/Boxster757
Old 07-08-2005, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jjwood
Ok Doug -- I saw your comment over on the 911 board, so I'll respond.

Yep, I think Jim's got a good idea. As much fun as I have with my daily driver Boxster on the street, I'm sure a Boxster would make a really fun track car. In my case I've got this slippery slope DE RSR project, which I'd never let any Boxster replace. Need more money! Well it's time to head down to the corner store and buy that winning lottery ticket. If (when) I win, I'll build me a Pasha spec Boxster.

Jeremy
I certainly understand that money thing. All my extra dollars (which equal...about....er...0$ right now) are earmarked for improvements to my new to me 911. Even if I can ever fullfil my itch for racing, I'm looking at spending $2500 on a 924S and going racing in the 944 cup. THAT's "cheap racing".

Still, having been a twice (and future again) Boxster owner, I'd love to see a racing series, if only to help squelsh the "handbag poofter" kinds of comments typically associated with Boxster owners. And a spec series would still be cheaper than most other Porsche racing. So I like the idea.

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 07-09-2005, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 757BoxsterS
Without having read the article seems like we agree on a few things. But I would like to see more "race prep" allowed vs. keeping with all stock components...While I like the idea of a Spec Boxster, I think it should be faster than the vast majority of the street cars out there. What this Jim guy proposes wouldn't be.
I certainly understand your comments...faster is always better and Boxsters deserve to be fast race cars. However I think the empitis (?sp) here would be on keeping costs down over outright speed. The racing wouldn't be slow...and "slower" racing is still racing. Look how entertianing vintage racing can be! (..not that I'm calling them slow, either. But admittedly, a vintage 911 won't be a fart in the wind for a modern POC racer.)

I think the real question is are the Boxsters able to be considered "cheap" racing or are they still beyond the level of "cheap racing" to where anyone who can afford a Boxster to race will be able to afford a more "proper race setup". In Jim's article he feels we can find 2.5 Boxsters for around $15k to use as a starting point...and be fully race ready by the $25k mark. Does that sound cheap to you? Again, certainly cheaper than what a typical POC member might spend, but way out of my personal budget. So it's relative.

As a poor soul ($$), I can appreciate anybody being concerned with costs for those who want to race. And if keeping prices down brings more Boxsters to the racing, I'd say that's a good thing. I'd take more "slower Boxsters over fewer "faster" Boxsters in the field.

I would agree with some other's comments...I think it's a little early to get enough participants to have a quality field. But in a year or two....if we get the word out...

Old 07-09-2005, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I agree with your cost statement, and believe me I understand the cost benifit of Spec racing. The idea greatly appeals to me. A Boxster to spec outlined in your quotes would be hard pressed to keep up with 944 Spec cars. If you're going to be $10K more for the car wouldn't you want to be faster than a 944 Spec?

As a rough idea, here's what *I* would outline for allowed mods:

* Cage == $1500 do it yourself Safety Devices "removable" or $2500 for custom welded in cage.
* $1500 - H&R coil-overs.
* $1000 - Extra set of 17" stock wheels
* $500 - Racing seat (can be done cheaper if desired). [Passenger optional]
* $250 - Harness
* $600 for Getty rear decklid + spoiler [optional]
* $1000 - GT3 front bumper [optional]
* $1100 - GHL exhaust [optional]
* Removal of weight if DIY is free.

Toyo RA-1 are ~$700 a set and Victoracers are ~$600 a set. You can get anywhere from 4 to 5 events on a set. So conceivably you can get through a whole season on 2 sets of tires for $1200 to $1400. (as an aside I'll spend $1K on one set of V710's or Hoosiers).

So for $7K to $10K you would have mods that would make the car close to 5 seconds a lap faster than a "stock" car. It would look, sound, and feel more like a racecar and best of all and average driver *should* be able to stay in front of the 944 Spec cars .

Still cheap p-car racing, not as cheap as 944 Spec, (I do not believe it *should* be). But cheaper than the $30-35K car POC is proposing for their 911 Spec.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Interesting that your pricing is coming up about the same as Jim's in the article. I think you might still be missing a few items like a hard top (..or would it be necessary?) and the oiling system. But, still, the additional items you propose over Jim's proposition don't seem like much!

I think the difficulty may come from how to answer the question "If they can have non-stock items, why can't I use my (special built and more expensive) non-stock items? I suppose in a spec series you can designate "only these items/brands of items"? But once you start modifications, where do you stop?

But I like your ideas and agree that the Boxster series should be "faster than stock".

Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug&Julie
Interesting that your pricing is coming up about the same as Jim's in the article. I think you might still be missing a few items like a hard top (..or would it be necessary?) and the oiling system. But, still, the additional items you propose over Jim's proposition don't seem like much!
The hardtop and oiling system would not be precluded. But they would also not be required. I've been running my S for 2 years now with the softtop and no added oiling system. Since these are not a performance enhancing feature I don't think it would be necessary to include them in the budget.

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug&Julie
I think the difficulty may come from how to answer the question "If they can have non-stock items, why can't I use my (special built and more expensive) non-stock items? I suppose in a spec series you can designate "only these items/brands of items"? But once you start modifications, where do you stop?
That is exactly what the 944 Spec guys do, and I would recommend that same thing here (i.e. "You can either keep your stock shocks or use H&R model XXX.YYY").

Now we just need to get you into another Boxster "Spec" and moved out to Cali .

Old 07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 757BoxsterS
Now we just need to get you into another Boxster "Spec" and moved out to Cali .
We're actually targeting Portland, OR. in about two-three years. After that, I'll be back "in the club" with some form of Boxster...

Old 07-13-2005, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I road trace/de/lap a 951, and have looked seriously into the 944 spec series as it is in an adjacent state. A mid-pack 944 costs > $8000, and a competitive car looks to be around $12K - bought. Built will run $1-2K more, probably. I should mention that I know my 951 would not be eligible, just brought it up because the costs to race/maintain are higher but similar. Why race 986 spec anyway? (I have and like my 986S).

Cons - it's an open car, it's not super fast (2.5L NA), it's not that rigid, even with a cage, it's tough to work on

Pros - it's fun to drive, handles great

944 Spec
Cons vs. Boxster - same speed, probably slightly less fun to drive

Why would you expect a 2.5 Boxster to be that much faster than a 2.5 944? Power is better. Both cars handle great. Spec should be priced right and be fair - do you want to win because you drive the best or because you can buy the most parts? If you are racing Spec, you should already be comfortable with your decision - because you already made it.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The 986 Spec cars should turn 1:34's (maybe 1:33's) a WSIR. The 944 Spec's are turning 1:37's. The 986's will be faster than the 944's.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I know I'm WAY late to the game.. but

My first outing at WSIR yielded low 36's in a Spec 2.5 car on tires not designed for track use.

I had never been to WSIR, but I know full well there is at least another 2 seconds left in the car at that track. It was the first attempt at running the car in legal trim according to the rules we put together with POC.

We are trying to get the class moving this year.

B
Old 04-12-2006, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Bringing this thread back to life after 2.5 years. www.boxsterspecracing.org good info here.
I plan on building one of these cars shortly. Looks like too much fun.
One of my race motors (I have two..... ) for the 911 would cost almost as much as a stock Boxster!!!
911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02
Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The spec Boxster class is alive and thriving with the POC. At each event it seems we see more and more spec Boxsters. But it's hard to believe the cars I'm seeing can be built with a total investment of $35,000. Looks to me like people are spending $45,000. Or more.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I have been pricing them out with all the race goodies and figure I can build one myself for around $25k total (me doing all the labor). Still $35k is cheap when you are talking racing. I love the fact you can get a crate motor for around $6.5k and used motors around $2.5k - $3k.
Looks like they may have close to 15 cars this year.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Chad,

you would be a great for the class. You have a lot of seat time! and you show up to the events "pro". I'll start the cage work and suspension work on another car Jan. 26th (scheduled delivery) Not soon after that.. I'll start on another car.

I'm offering to help people for free build these cars. (just to get more cars out) The car I was driving above sold to a Spec944 guy who is converting to BoxsterSpec this year I let another Spec944 guy drive the car above at Fontana a few years back.. he was ready to convert.. LOL

If you want help.. let me know. I know the suspension VERY well and have a person doing chrome moly tig welded GT3 Cup style cages in the cars for under 2k.

B
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the vote of confidence Brad. Now once I go out there I will not have any pressure to perform

I have a Nascar shop up in Modesto who did my full cage for my 911 for $1400 (2001). SCCA cage spec DOM. These guys do not know about the Porsche "premium" and do great work. For the same cage, other shops (Bay Area) were wanting $3000-$5000...LOL
However for a "GT3" style cage for under $2k is very reasonable. I was just going to bring pictures to the guys in Modesto to have them recreate one, like I did with the 911. But for under $2k I just might tow it down there.

I have another friend that is also looking for a donor Boxster as we speak. He might have one by the end of this week (We were actually looking at the same one without knowing it, I bowed out cuz he has more money...). Then the pressure will really be on me to find the "right" one.

Once I start building/racing one I think the class might get another bump in Spec Boxsters later on as I start putting the pressure on my Dad, Uncle, Cousin, Aunt who race with me in VARA. Good Ole family arm twisting.

I'm really looking forward to starting a new project and racing it. I will look you up when it is suspension time.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Chad,

I have met the whole family.. Most of my work is with ALMS and GrandAm, but I have attended several of the events you have ran in the past. I also contacted you through the Cayman Club when our shop was driving a X51 conversion we did, ours actually ran and drove before Farnbacher..

Your family brings a lot to the table when you show up for a track event. It is fun and refreshing to see! Nothing like having your own "race group"

My fab guy is in Rancho Cucamonga right off of the 15 and 210 I'm not in San Diego anymore. Didnt make much sense to live someplace that doesnt have a track. All I need is an airport and a race track ha ha!! I didnt realize you guy's where out of Fresno! I see the Plavin *stuff* in San Diego also

I'll send you my contact info. I have another Boxster related site that I will focus on soon. A site with Factory Trained Porsche guy's answering tech questions and professional setup help.. and professional drivers

B
Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

My Boxster build has started slowly, but I hope to make the March POC event at WSIR. With all the talk and interest I see at different sites, I'm thinking the track may be pretty crowded. Should be fun. I'll have to change my avatar someday.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Drew,

Did the 914 get fixed? I havent been on the boards in a long time... I am just looking at getting a boxster(DD and Track time) and saw your post.

Hey Brad!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: