Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hey guys, a fellow Rennlister wrote to them to get more info and shared it with me. He told me feel free to share here, so...

On the costs (some elements are still estimates)

the top is $4,999 from our warehouse in Los Angeles
if you car does not have, and it won’t (99% certain) unless it was originally bought with the OEM hardtop, you will need the Spin-Lock inserts. Those you can buy from your Porsche dealer or we can provide them for you at $147.50. To install the inserts is relatively easy for anyone who can use tools and is use to working on cars, or you can have your Porsche dealer install them for you.
The installation of the top will not take any longer than an hour, which includes the removal of the trunk and soft top lids (we provide a tool to simplify the process). After that it takes about 1 min to drop the top on and lock in place with the Spin-Locks and windscreen latch (same as for the soft top). If you go to your local independent Porsche shop, the cost will probably be about $100-$200, depends on what they charge, etc.
We are in the process of getting shipping costs sorted out for various major centers, but for the Bay Area, I would expect it not to be any more than a few hundred dollars, or less (but let’s say $200)..

So, to summarize, top costs $4,999, plus (rounding all costs) land freight est. $200, spin-lock inserts $150, installation of top est. $150.

Once I have to top here on our 2002 Boxster S, expected latter part of this month or early October, I will let you know and we can then figure out the logistics.

Hope that helps,

Kari

Zeintec USA

K.M. Kauppi, President & CEO

+1.310.871.6995 mobile

www.zeintec-usa.com

+1.310.209.8592 phone

+1.310.388.0450 fax

Distributors of the revolutionary Zeintop from Zeintec Automotive Technologies (Pty) Ltd.

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 09-27-2006, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Briana
Great idea. Unfortunately they hit the wrong price point. I think <$3000 and it might have been a success.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

zeintop

Hello,

I am really interested in this piece and was curious if anyone knew if they offer a payment or financing option as $5k is a tough one to swallow. As I understand there are only a handful of installations in the states but obviously from the response on pelican alone, there is a massive demand.

That said, maybe if they made it more easily obtainable more purchases would be made (okay, I deserve a "duh" there).

In short, more of their products on the road -- more brand awareness for the compan and its other products as a whole.

I would jump to own one of these but alas, only have about $3k of the necessary fund

Any information would be helpful.

Rob Ludwick
robertludwick@zadv.com
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Very cool modification, I wonder if they offer this in Australia...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
hoof n mouth disease

Cool, but GONE

Unfortunately, it appears Zeintec is no longer in business.

LIQUIDATION OF ZEINTEC:
UNFORTUNATELY ZEINTEC IS IN THE PROCESS OF LIQUIDATION!
AFTER 5 YEARS THE WORLD ECONOMIC CRISIS HAS CLAIMED THE ZEINTEC BUSINESS AS WELL!
EVEN THOUGH ZEINTEC MANAGED TO RESIST IN THE FIRST 16 MONTH OF THE CRISIS BY REDUCING COSTS, GRANTING DISCOUNTS (TO KEEP SALES UP) AND INCREASING EFICENCY, WE EVENTUALLY HAD TO GIVE IN FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
- DRAMATIC DECREASE IN SALES
- THE SOUTH AFRICAN RAND BECOMING STRONGER AND STRONGER, WHICH HAS EATEN UP ALL EFFORTS TO REDUCE PRICES AND KEEPING SALES UP
- QUALITY ISSUES IN PRODUCTION
- SUPPLIERS CLOSING DOWN THEIR BUSINESSES
SIMPLY TOO MANY ODDS TO BEAT.
WE APOLOGIES TO ALL OF OUR CUSTOMERS AND PARTNER WHO ARE BEING AFFECTED BY THE SITUATION. WE TRIED OUR VERY BEST!
THE ZEINTEC TEAM
AS SOON AS WE KNOW HOW THE PROCESS WILL BE HANDELED WE WILL PUBLISH RELEVANT INFORMATION
Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

I'm going to keep the photo of the top in my 101 book regardless. Perhaps someone will purchase the plans and start reproducing the tops? Or manufacture another top similar in idea?

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 • SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Thats sad. I'd very much like one, as I think it is the best cosmetic change available for the boxster. Might be a chance to get one cheaper though.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I'd be very interested if so Wayne. I am getting ready to do brakes on it next (needs pads and rotors all around, and yes I am using your guide, though it doesn't seem much harder then all the 914's I have done), and then the body is next. Rear bumper, and hopefully a hard top, and possibly a front bumper if I can justify it.

Grant
Old 06-27-2010, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

That's too good a top to disappear from the market for good!

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug&Julie View Post
That's too good a top to disappear from the market for good!
I've heard that it will be coming back. I will post more details when I get more information...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 • SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

That's good news. Julie and I were just discussing this weekend (as we were car shopping ) that, while I LOVE a convertible on a perfect day, I'd really rather have a coupe for most driving. And if I got a Boxster, I'd get a Zeintop for winter and summer (yes, for summer because it's so damn hot, even for a convertible!) and remove it for Spring and Fall so we could use open the top.

Obviously, one could get a factory hard top, but the Zeintop is just...cooler!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

I really hope this top makes a comeback. My back window just gave out in my soft top, so if the Zeintop style top becomes available, now is the time for me. I could always band aid the window and just use the soft top for emergency rain in the Spring and Summer and then use the hard top the rest of the time. That should make sense to the wife!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Steve

When I heard the Zeintec had gone tango uniform, I emailed the company selling Zeintec tops on ebay, Xtreme Motorcars, they said they are working with a someone to copy their last remaining Zeintec top (the 986 will be done first) and that it may include some improvements to the quality.

Here's some ofe what jeff at Xtreme Motorcars said:

Hi,
Yes, this is all recent
they burned us for a lot of tops
we had 1 left we sent to one of our suppliers and
they are making it and the quality, will be about the same
their top was very nice, this one should be a little better

the main hold up is the glass
we tried to use factory glass but it is not the same
so it is being made 100 sets, just will take about 40 days to get it
and we will not have a website just for the top
we will add it to ur site though
Jeffrey
Xtreme Motorcars

1st a shot of a Cayman here
so you can see
the side door windows have a sharp back part
and the Boxster have a rounded back upper section
so the Zein glass is larger has a dogleg built into it
to make up this space (more photos below)

ok so this is the Cayman side glass on top, Zein glass on bottom
and you can see the Zein glass has to have that extra part because of the rounded back side window on the 986 Boxster, it fills the gap from the rounded window top

ok
this is the Factory Cayman glass on the Zeintop
the height is about the same but width is wider
we might just be able to squeeze it between the rain channels
this would not look bad because if you go back top photo
of a Cayman the glass goed right to the side hatch channel
and Zeintec left a gap there
if that is the case the shop would grind or rout out for the larger glass
these guys are good so it will all be done professionally

You were asking about the center latch so I thought that is what you needed
and yes they did go out of business and we are getting these from
another supplier who is making the same top and will have all the same
parts and we sell the top with top latch and spin locks included
the hold up now is waiting for the glass which had to be custom made
I will e-mail you when we have the tops in ready to ship
Jeffrey
Xtreme Motorcars

So there you have it. The more of us that show an interest the more motivated these guys will be to get'r done.

Steve
Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

So the ones on eBay...are they just leftover stock?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Steve

I'm not sure why they have an auction on ebay (last i checked it said two available). My impression is that there is NO stock of Zeintops... zero. These guys were screwed by Zeintec are waiting for tops from their new manufacturer... and the new tops won't be 'Zeintops', just copies. Not sure what the auction is all about. Perhaps to generate interest and to steer future buyers to them. When I asked them if they had any in stock they said no, but that the new supplier should be online within 40 days with a viable copy. I'm doubtful, but they sounded serious.

stevo
Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Steve

I asked a question through ebay as to why they are maintaining an auction if there is no product. Here's the response:

Hi, no one does a buy it now without making an offer or asking a question, so that is not a problem and it is keeping me in the loop on who got burned on tops and updates worldwide about people missing parts etc, eventually here I will change it to Zeintec style top, in the meantime i am also keeping an e-mail list of who wants to know when the parts are available, and some customers who need glass and other items, so I think this is a good thing, sorry if it seems like a bad thing to you, Jeffrey

- xtrememotorcars

Well, mining for future sales... a little sloppy and not exactly honest IMO, but I'm sure they are getting names of interested parties this way. Makes me a little apprehensive about how they will do business when the time comes. Just how long will they misrepresent their "stock" of two available????

Steve
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve986 View Post
...no one does a buy it now without making an offer or asking a question...
Ironically, knowing these are no longer available "from the factory" I might have done a "buy it now" just to make sure I got one of the possibly only two in the US left available. Good thing I haven't bought another Boxster yet.

I'll shoot them a note asking about availability, if only to give them one more "potential" for their gauge. I agree, it's kinda shady dealings. There has to be a better way to gauge interest. ...maybe, like on a web forum or two?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Steve

Thought I'd pass on this last response from the guy at xtreme. I mentioned to him that perhaps this phony ebay auction thing wasn't a very good PR move... this was his response:

ok, well, this is all new, and very busy, I will make the change sometime in the next few days, I have been focusing on getting all the small parts and glass made which is harder than you would think, + we got burned for 5 tops and parts as well, Jeffrey

- xtrememotorcars

Well, now we just wait for a top! I hope these guys pull it off! It sure would be great if they do. I like the idea that it will be American made... our purchase would be protected (somewhat) by American laws. Hopefully it will be cheaper and better than the Zeintop, that is, if it ever happens.

Steve
Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: