Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

boxster S vs. honda nsx

just sold my 89 911 cab now i regret selling, I have been interested in a boxster S 2003 to 2005. the price of an 05 S appears in the 42k to 44k range very similar to the 97 or 98 NSX . Does any one have experience with these 2 cars . I will not be on trac, spirited back country roads here in Wisconsin. The 89 gave a very visceral feel and required you to pay attention, I like a similar feeling drive but would like a more modern suspension and mechanicals, I did drive a 2006 ( non S ) locally with low miles at dealer. which I can buy for 40.5k, very nice ride, but felt the ( S 2005 )would be similar or close in price and may be preferable. I would appreciate your thoughts and collective wisdom on both the S vs. non S as well as the comparative issue to the NSX
Old 01-14-2007, 08:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

S vs. non-S is simple: If you can afford the S, get it. You could buy a non-S, and add about $4000 worth of performance mods to equal them out as I did. I did this because I got a great deal on an '03 non-S, and I couldn't find an S locally that was equipped as I wanted.

Boxster vs, the NSX ? Well, I briefly looked at the two when I was buying my Porsche. The NSX is fast, handles well, but is quite fidgety at the limits. The Porsche is more neutral and stable when really pushing it hard. Porsche is more comfortable for touring, even though it's a bonified sports car. Porsche interior is nicer, and more comfortable.

Bottom line for me was simple...a Honda is, well, a Honda....no matter how you look at it. At the end of the day, not too many of your friends are going to say "Holy S*$^, you've got a Honda !!!" The Boxster is just a REALLY fun car to own and drive. It can be anything you need it to be, a comfortable touring car, a competitive autoxer, a "scare the crap out of your friends" car, a turn everybody's head car, a wind in your face car, a keep it in the garage and only take it out on nice days car, or a daily commuter. And no matter what she is on any given day, she carries that Porsche pedigree proudly.

As a former 911 owner, you know this to be true - "There IS no substitute." Buy the Porsche, and this time keep it....
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

If you like edgy fun, get the Honda -- they're only alive past eight tenths or so, and then they're hugely thrilling in a way that Boxsters just aren't.

Or you can just put a bigger bar in the back of the Boxster to get some edgier handling that you'll have to mind. But I'm not sure you'll ever get the raw thrill factor that an NSX provides in a 987.

That said, you'll only be thrilled by the Acura every now and then, while a general appreciation of the Boxster's subtler merits never really goes away. Overall, it's a better car and the one I would choose.

What's funny is that the NSX was hailed as such an acheivement when new, but then it hung around long enough to see an all-steel, convertible, entry-level Porsche match or exceed it for weight, power, and pace.

Seven year old NSX vs. 1-2 year 987S for the same money? Progress is a nifty thing...

pete
Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That opinion from an individual that drives alot of cars...alot of REALLY NICE cars. Sounds like darn good advice to me.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

well I did it

after much thought and driving the boxster s , I found a local low millage 06 boxster S 5k miles, warranty to 2010 ,loved drive and feel closer to the 89 911 than the 99 996 i had before, still miss the 89 now have to wait for weather to cooperate thanks for your help and suggestions
Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Re: well I did it

Quote:
Originally posted by dsher
after much thought and driving the boxster s , I found a local low millage 06 boxster S 5k miles, warranty to 2010 ,loved drive and feel closer to the 89 911 than the 99 996 i had before, still miss the 89 now have to wait for weather to cooperate thanks for your help and suggestions
Good call -- you won't be disappointed.

May I make one suggestion? If so, drive and enjoy the 2006 until that precise moment when you can flip it for a 2007 Boxster S without taking too much of a hit. Work the deal slowly until you get it right.

The work will be worth it, even if you end up $1-3K out of pocket. The 3.4 transforms the Boxster S into a junior league supercar -- not in terms of speed but in terms of character... As in, F355 Spyder who?

Ultimate 987S setup for driving pleasure: standard 18s without PASM, and Walter Rohrl agrees, so I can't be too far off. Adding PCCBs to this would be pure magic, but that car probably doesn't exist.

PASM is fine on 987s, though, with either wheel size -- just don't do 19s without PASM...

Enjoy!

pete

Last edited by stout; 02-28-2007 at 02:55 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: