Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Exclamation Brakes!

Just got a "brake wear" light on my 2000 Boxster. I have extensive experience with my early 911 but very little hands on with the boxster.
Not looking for all out competition mod's, just a good setup for maybe an occasional AutoX or maybe a DE. I do drive in the mountains regularly but seldom use the brakes that much.

Looking for a good setup and need any advise on what to look out for while doing the project. How about clearing the light/code, will this be necessary? Do the sensors need to be changed too?
Anything else?

Any advise will be appreciated!

Thanks
2006 F-150 Lariat
Gruppe B #090
Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi

Yes, the sensors will need to be replaced - the light clears itself when the sensors are replaced (a wire gets broken in the sensor to turn the light on)

The stock Pagids\Jurids\Texstars are just fine for occasional AX or DE

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
AFJuvat,

Thanks for the info. I have all the parts on order from our host and even upgraded to cross-drilled rotors on the front.
Is it going to be obvious which sensor is bad? Thought I might keep the others (providing it is worth it) for backup.

Note- I have never seen front rotors worn like mine? ( I didn't do it - I've only put 2000 easy miles on the car since buying it in January )
Is it normal for the rotors to wear to where it's (at least) an eight of an inch thicker around the outside edge than where the pads wear?

Thanks,
2006 F-150 Lariat
Gruppe B #090
Old 05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi,

Yes, that type of rotor wear is normal.

The "tripped" sensor will be very easy to spot. You can reuse the old sensors if they are still good, provided you can remove them from the old brake pads without breaking them, as they tend to get brittle with age\heat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-07-2007, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FrayAdjacent911
How many miles are on the car? I changed my pads in January shortly after I got the car. 40k on the ticker. Dealer was fixing a minor issue with the rear tag lights, and told me the pads were thin, almost on the wear sensors. When I replaced the pads, I did not replace any of the wear sensors with new parts. You DO have to be careful with them. If you break a wire, the sensor is 'tripped'. And they're like $12 a pop... 2 per wheel!

I think 40k was the schedule for changing pads on the Boxster. Can't remember about the rotors, but I noticed a bit of a 'lip' at the edge of the rotor when changing my front pads.

My plan is to inspect the pads around 60k and replace them around 80k, and at that time, I'll replace at least the front rotors.

... if I don't upgrade to 996 brakes by then. I haven't done any autox, but am thinking about it...

69 911T Targa - "Stinky"
2001 Boxster "Stahlgewehr"
Old 05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Matt J,
Sorry for the lag. I've been busy getting the boxster in the air and cleaning up the curb rash the PO put on all four rims. Waiting on FEDEX to deliver the parts.
The car has 59,100 miles on it and the pads have probably been replaced but I'm sure the rotors are original. The brake fluid was changed by the dealer when the PO was getting the oil changed.

I bought my car in January too, at 56,850 miles. The rear rotors are ok but decided change them all.

Thanks for the info,
2006 F-150 Lariat
Gruppe B #090
Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: