Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Zeintop on 2001 Boxster S

I finally took some photos for my Zeintop on my Boxster getting ready for winter.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

that looks really nice...
Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Zeintops are on sale direct from the factory during the holidays. I just got an email with the promotion $2,553 and $350 freight and $897 if you want it painted to match.

Yours looks great. How difficult was the installation?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks. That price is pretty good. The installation itself is not difficult but getting the fitting right is time consuming. You need minimum two peoples but better with three. The hatch door is easier to install if you take the hinge off the top and install the hinge on the hatch door first, then install the hatch door on to the top. This is because the hinge doesn't lined up with the holes on the hatch door. Be prepare to spend a full day with your good buddies installing this top. Once you have done the fitting, the second time is much easier. I would not recommend this top if you constantly switching between soft top and this one. I'm only doing it twice a year since I use my Boxster as my daily driver.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That looks absolutely great; very much factory appearance. Did they paint it for you or did you have it done? In either case, the color match from the pictures looks spot on.

I don't drive my Box in adverse weather, otherwise I would purchase one of these over the standard hardtop; which in my opinion, is not that attractive.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The Zeintop come with option of them paint the color of your choice at a cost of course and it is a worthwhile option. My top came with it already painted by them.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That top is way cool, I need one.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

That top is indeed way cool. Last year, I was told it would be $5K through the distributors. At that price, I questioned the viability of it in the marketplace. At $2500, it's quite a bit more reasonable. I paid $1000 for a regular used Boxster hard top about a year ago...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 • SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I am sorry to open a dead thread but I just need a quick answer...

I am looking to purchase a zeintop from someone not local. I can't test the fit on my particular boxster S. However some people say it fits easy and other say it is a pain in the rear.

Since I can't test it before purchase, with the pain fitment side, will I need to modify fiberglass or just mess with the actual top to get it to fit right? I just want to make sure it will actually 100% work. If it has a gap here or there (without leaks) is fine with me.

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

holly crap thats cool, someone should make a fiberglas spec boxster top in that profile!
2001GT3Cup/93RSA/944Spec#19
Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

So those pics impart something which I've always thought....

Porsche never made a "986" badge for these cars. They did however make a black "968" lettering for the hard top 968 cars. It was right when Porsche started using the font that they still use.

Is the badge on the back of that car just a 968 emblem (that you can buy here at Pelican) with the 6 and the 8 reversed, and a Boxster S "S" tacked on the end (which would explain the difference in color- the Boxster S's only have silver trim items).......

My Boxster S emblem on the rear is showing age and I've wanted to replace it with a "986S" logo for a while now... this may be a good indication of what it looks like...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
newlife

Garage
Yeah, I like the 986 S emblem also.

Rod
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Steve

I'm so annoyed that I can't get one of these! Supposedly, there's a company working to reproduce it, but it's not here yet. I don't see how any 986 owner could resist this purchase, that is, unless the price was too high, which was the case with the original manufacturer.

Oh, well.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

check out redline technik - they are selling a spec top made by boxt cars that looks like a zeintop. currently vapourware, however, as all they have right now are prototypes. otherwise, look for z-art on facebook; they are looking to redo the zeintop but he needs 20 orders to justify ordering the glass and fittings and nobody will front him the $ as he seems to be a bit of a crook (people who complain about never getting the orders they paid for quickly get their wall posts removed). there is a guy on ebay selling zeintops but actually doesn't have any to sell; he's just gathering interest and when he as enough he may make a mould from one of the originals. it's been almost two years now and i have little faith in anything ever happening with him. d moris in france do something similar, but the lines are a bit awkward.

ps, i bought that top from dai; it's now arctic silver.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
Looks like the top from redline technik is now available, but it is listed as a racing related product - http://vokd3.ucs9x.servertrust.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=399
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The guys from Boxt Cars(looks to be the same as Redline Technik parts) had a couple cars with tops at the Rennsport Reunion that were definitely prototype quality. But there is hope of seeing these soon!
'86 944T
'00 Boxster with EBS Racing 3.4 liter engine
Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

yea these were really nice, I wish (hope) the would be spec box legal, they would lighten things up nicely and make it way easier to quick get to the engine bay...
2001GT3Cup/93RSA/944Spec#19
Old 10-20-2011, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
2001 Boxster owner

Does the hatchback open? If so do you then open the rear trunk? Any chance of seeing a photo of that?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i've been talking with the boxt cars fellow. the race top screws down at the front, and bolts into place near the factory attachment points and at the rear trunk attachment points. access to the rear is through a small hatch/truck lid. the lid will be held in place by cam locks. given the bolting and screwing (ie, top difficult to remove) he is designing extensions for the oil and coolant fill so that they can be accessed from the hatch.

the street top will have a front latch like a factory top, but still bolt at the rear as per the race top. the rear hatch will be hinged.

uncertain why he doesn't use the factory attachment points as per the zeintop. also, i'd think that if you made the top easier to remove then you wouldn't need the hatch or oil fill and coolant extensions; just pop-off the 25# top and have at 'er. as it stands, it becomes very difficult to access the engine with his approach.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Zeintop

I just had a conversation with Andreas, the gentleman that (I believe) designed the original Zeintop. His contact info is listed in the 986forum. The company has restructured after internal disagreements. My understanding is that quality has improved while price has gone down. Tops are made to order and shipped ready for paint out of Rotterdam, Holland.

longhorizon
Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: