Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Boxster Project 28: Throttle Body Replacement / Cleaning Intake & Boots

Anyone got any questions on Project 28 - Throttle Body Replacement / Cleaning Intake & Boots for your 986 Boxster, 987 Boxster, Cayman, Carrera 996, or Carrera 997?

Here's a back link to the original article: Pelican Technical Article: 28-FUEL-Throttle_Body_Cleaning_-_Boots

-Wayne
Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey Wayne,

Im cleaning the throttle body on my car, seeing as how my AOS is starting to fail (took apart the intake system and found puddle of oil in the plenum and the tubes).

My question is, is it OK to spray throttle body cleaner inside the plenum and the tubes (t-tube connected to the throttle body and the cross tube behind it) to clean them or will it harm them seeing as how they are made of hard plastic (I think)?

If not OK, what would you recommend using?

Thanks, great book by the way, very helpful for the novice DIYer!!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hi there and welcome to the forum here! The throttle-body cleaner should be okay for the plastic tubes - I would just keep it away from the rubber. As for the air-oil separator failure, it's not uncommon to find a small pool or residue in the intake even with a functioning separator. The big test is whether or not the engine is pulling a large vacuum, and you can tell this by trying to pull off the oil cap when the car is running (it will be difficult if the AOS has failed).

-Wayne
Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
newlife

Garage
Hi Wayne,

Is it okay to spray throttle body cleaner on the electrical part of the throttle body. Looks like the electrical apparatus is housed in hard black plastic. You can see it in your book. Or now that I'm looking a little closer at the photo, that part may come off. Or should I avoid cleaning in that area. 2000 Boxter S, 40,000 miles, Alpine 91901,

Thanks

Rod
Old 05-12-2011, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
Hi Wayne,

Is it okay to spray throttle body cleaner on the electrical part of the throttle body. Looks like the electrical apparatus is housed in hard black plastic. You can see it in your book. Or now that I'm looking a little closer at the photo, that part may come off. Or should I avoid cleaning in that area. 2000 Boxter S, 40,000 miles, Alpine 91901,

Thanks

Rod
Just remove the hoses and clean out the actual throttle body area. I would leave the electrical portion alone...

-Wayne
Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
newlife

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Just remove the hoses and clean out the actual throttle body area. I would leave the electrical portion alone...

-Wayne
Thank you Wayne !

That is exactly what I did.

Rod
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Throttle Body Cleaning

So which is it? Soak the TB (submerge overnight in cleaner) or spray and wipe out? If the former (as tip suggests in Project 28) should soaking the entire TB unit overnight include the attached black plastic electrical component?

These contradictions are confusing. I'd have brainstormed each Project to address every possible dumb-ass (or reasonable) question to avoid such debates.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Seals & Gaskets

Hi, my 02 base, 150k Km idle hunts between 800 - 900 rpm at standstill.

I intend to clean out the throttle body as many have advised. I see the part number for the ICV gasket is 996 110 310 50 M100.

I cant seem to find the p/n of the intake plenum rubber gasket / seal .

Can anybody advise please.

Thanks

Simon
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just did mine today. 142k '01 Box. Cleaned it with rags and brake cleaner (any port in a storm). No more hunting!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Should the idle control valve be cleaned separately and is it ok to use carb cleaner? I have a new gasket. It's a 98, looks similar to the setup in picture 2 on page111 in the book. Thanks
Kooze 1948
Old 06-05-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: