Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

trunk lid won't open 2001 boxster s

Problem after problem. I can't open the trunk lid. And i ended up canceling my tennis match.

Anyway, neither the key fob nor the door side release result in popping open of the lid. I can hear the release mechanism clicking, but nothing happens.

Are there pictures of the manual release for the trunk? I've read there are two ways to open the rear lid--one near the left tire, and another.

What's the easiest way to open it? And do you have pictures? ty.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Yes, there is a manual release back there on near the left side tail lamp. You need to catch with with some wire (hanger), with a hook on the end to pull it. There's a cable and it goes to a hole in the floor on the driver's (left) side of the rear compartment. This then goes down to the rear fender liner and there is a loop that you can catch with a hook or pull to open the trunk. If you still can't find it, I'll see if I can take some photos...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

wayne, do i need to remove the tire to get to the wire, or do i need to remove the bumper? i've seen both on posts, and it seems like tire removal (front left tire) gets you to the wire for the front hood release, and to get to the wire for the back trunk release, you need to remove the rear bumper. Is that right?

For some reason, i couldn't see screws on the panel above the wheel to access the cable. I have to remove some paneling right?

1.wire picture for the front hood release (under front tire)

Dead battery hood Trunk release My advise! Be Prepared. (scroll down to see picture)

2.rear bumper removed for rear trunk release (picture if you scroll down)
986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others - Can't open trunk!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

where should i feed the hanger? will i be able to see the loop, or do i just feed the wire up under paneling and fish for the wire blindly with the coat hanger?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ok got it.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Recommended for the Wiki.

"Tig McStick" is on Facebook
Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

you can definitely get to the emergency release wire for the rear trunk by
1.jacking the car,
2.removing the rear driver side tire,
3.then removing (or partially removing) the undercarriage panel toward the back of the car that lies just above the tire,
4. and then using a flashlight to visualize the wire which is about 2 feet deeper, as Wayne said, and close to the left tail light area (driver side tail light).
6.Pull the wire, and presto, the sweet sound of the popping trunk.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
Recommended for the Wiki.
I'm trying to get something together that will allow the users here to build the Wiki / directory automatically. Working on it, it will be most useful when / if I ever get it done.

-Wayne
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupaleus View Post
ok got it.
Great! And thanks for adding the extra info for future reference!

-Wayne
Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

opening hood latch when battery is dead

i iHere is another way I found today open up the hood of a 2001 boxster s with a dead battery. After trying the recommended way in the owners manual using the pull out fuse and not having any success. I went into tearing the passenger side front wheel area apart looking for the manual releasethat I didn't find. Flustrated I had an idea. I have a rechargeable jump kit with a cigarette charger on it. It has a cord with two cigarette plug end on it. I plugged them in and it sent 12 v to the fuse block and I was able to use the electric hood switch! Wonderful took about 5 seconds to hookup. I was relieved
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

opening hood latch when battery is dead

Here is another way I found today open up the hood of a 2001 boxster s with a dead battery. After trying the recommended way in the owners manual using the pull out fuse and not having any success. I went into tearing the passenger side front wheel area apart looking for the manual releasethat I didn't find. Flustrated I had an idea. I have a rechargeable jump kit with a cigarette charger on it. It has a cord with two cigarette plug end on it. I plugged them in and it sent 12 v to the fuse block and I was able to use the electric hood switch! Wonderful took about 5 seconds to hookup. I was relieved
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: