Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
My New 2011 Spyder

I just wanted to share because this car puts a PermaSmile on my face everytime I drive it. The 911ST also needed some company.... I love this car! It has the best handling of any car I have ever driven. Its a pure, raw, true sports car. Porsche got it really right with this car. My girlfriend calls it my "Mistress".
Rumor is they are not making anymore. Guess we will have to wait and see.
It is a pure joy to drive.

911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02
Old 10-09-2010, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Awesome purchase. Highly considering one as my next car.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Look great... Would be a good deposit on the new 356 Speedster

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nice car! Good luck! By a Radar Detector!
Old 10-10-2010, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You sir, have my dream garage. (Minus the Ford )

Welcome to enlightenment.

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 10-11-2010, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

A friend recently placed an order for his...white one, as well. I'm looking forward to driving it; he drove one and placed his order within a weeks time!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Steve

Looks to me as if you are living the good life... I hope you are at very least chubby and bald, otherwise this would not be fair, dude.

I just watched an episode of Top Gear (no fan of Porsche Boxsters, BTW) with this very car (white too), they loved the car, but for the soft top... it's really not too great, am I right?

steve
Old 10-16-2010, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve986 View Post
Looks to me as if you are living the good life... I hope you are at very least chubby and bald, otherwise this would not be fair, dude.

I just watched an episode of Top Gear (no fan of Porsche Boxsters, BTW) with this very car (white too), they loved the car, but for the soft top... it's really not too great, am I right?

steve
I've seen only one in person with the top in place. It's minimal. I don't know about "not.... great", the car was made to be a roadster. The top will get you home if the weather turns nasty.

These cars look fantastic in person.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve986 View Post

steve
LOL!- Sorry, not fat or bald. I'm a strapping 37 years young! I just worked hard and made sure nothing was given to me (Pre Obama)

I saw that episode- They loved it. The top is not that bad at all. I actually like it with it on too. It's made out of carbon fiber, and the way it mounts to the car is genius. The top is what makes this car, it really separates the "Purist" from the "Poser". This car is a raw sports car.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-16-2010, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I picked up one this July as well. Basalt black metallic with red leather interior. Handles exceptionally well. My only complaint is the bar for the 3rd stop light. I think it would have looked better if the light was incorporated into the spoiler.
Don't think I'll be working on it much myself due to lack of time, but I would like to get a workshop manual, if one exists. I can't seem to find anything online. Any leads?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Exact same as the 987 Boxster as far as most all self serviceable mechanics go.

Most normal maintenance is covered in Wayne's tech articles, and anything else is usually solved quickly right here on this forum.

I've got a host of Boxster Spyder pictures on my work screensaver. Everyone who walks by and sees it is always stopped in their tracks. Such a beautiful car.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm considering the purchase of a 2011 or 2012 Boxster Spyder. Just curious how bad the wind noise is with the top on at freeway speeds over 60mph? I've read a lot of good things about these Spyders. Just curious what the common negatives are about the car? I'd like to find one in a rare color. If anyone has one they are thinking of selling, please PM me.

Last edited by 73ess; 08-07-2018 at 09:55 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ess View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a 2011 or 2012 Boxster Spyder. Just curious how bad the wind noise is with the top on at freeway speeds over 60mph? I've read a lot of good things about these Spyders. Just curious what the common negatives are about the car? I'd like to find one in a rare color. If anyone has one they are thinking of selling, please PM me.
I sold my Spyder 2.5 years ago for another race car in my stable (Sold for more than I bought it for while putting 15k miles on it). It had the correct options, 6 Speed manual, and the carbon fiber Bucket seats. The Spyder is an awesome car. It is a drivers/enthusiasts car. The top can be loud- but the sound of the motor overcomes any negatives.

Make sure to get the Sport Buckets (NOT the regular Sport Seats). The Buckets are just as comfortable as any seat I had before. If the Spyder you are looking at does not have the Sport Buckets, pass on it or knock $6K-$10k off asking price. Those seats are highly desirable, and cost over $11K if you buy them separately.

Great car!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Pass on because of seats, really?
So you can get these with out the ceramic brakes? I dreamt about one of these and then thought (without any research) that ceramic brakes were standard. I was ready to pass due to the cost of replacement. Couldn't justify in my head. Anyhow, I get saving again. Dam it. Congrats, enjoy the heck out of it. Well done.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Pass on because of seats, really?
So you can get these with out the ceramic brakes? I dreamt about one of these and then thought (without any research) that ceramic brakes were standard. I was ready to pass due to the cost of replacement. Couldn't justify in my head. Anyhow, I get saving again. Dam it. Congrats, enjoy the heck out of it. Well done.
You must of missed the post. I sold it. This is an old post that was revived the other day.
Spyders did not come with ceramic brakes. Wouldn’t want them either. So do not worry about that.

Pass because of seats? That is a BIG yes. The carbon fiber Sport Buckets are standard on the Spyder. They are super light, comfortable, and cost over $11k if bought separately. The people who checked the regular sport seats substitute missed out and lost out on thousands of dollars. There was no credit given back.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Just curious why you sold it? What were the biggest negatives for you? So Porsche still sells the Sport Buckets? I've heard they are difficult to get in and out of. Pretty sure my wife would prefer heated seats so the Sport Buckets wouldn't work unless they can be heated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
You must of missed the post. I sold it. This is an old post that was revived the other day.
Spyders did not come with ceramic brakes. Wouldn’t want them either. So do not worry about that.

Pass because of seats? That is a BIG yes. The carbon fiber Sport Buckets are standard on the Spyder. They are super light, comfortable, and cost over $11k if bought separately. The people who checked the regular sport seats substitute missed out and lost out on thousands of dollars. There was no credit given back.

Last edited by 73ess; 08-11-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Old 08-10-2018, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ess View Post
Just curious why you sold it? What were the biggest negatives for you? So Porsche still sells the Sport Buckets? I've heard they are difficult to get in and out of. Pretty sure my wife would prefer heated seats so the Sport Buckets wouldn't work unless they can be heated.
No negatives at all. If there is one i had to think hard about, it would be washing it by hand. I tend to do that anyway so not a big deal.

I just wanted a new racecar, and was not driving it all that much (800 total miles the last year I had it)

The Sport Buckets dont need any heat. They wrap around you. You learn how to get in and out of the car easliy. It's not an issue after a few days of ownership. If you are buying the car with the regular sport seats, knock thousands off the price. You will be missing out on the real purpose of this car going with the regular sport seats.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Gotch ya. Thanks for the extra clarification.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: