Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Radio turns off at startup

We are having a problem with the radio in our 1999 Boxster where the radio works fine prior to starting the car. When we start the car the radio turns off and does not work. The radio only works when the car is off.

So far we changed the ignition switch but still have the problem. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks.

Last edited by cimbali; 12-29-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
leo

Check if the power go's out at the fuse in the fuse box if so you can just run a new power LED to the radio but I would still find out were the short is
Old 12-28-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

I'm thinking like you're thinking - ignition switch. Does the radio work when the ignition switch is in the "run" position, or does it stop working *only* after the engine is on?

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The car's trying to tell you to listen to it's sweet sound, instead of some other "music".
Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
I'm thinking like you're thinking - ignition switch. Does the radio work when the ignition switch is in the "run" position, or does it stop working *only* after the engine is on?

-Wayne
It stops working only after the engine is started. It works fine with engine off and the key turned to just use the accessories. We did recently replace the ignition switch.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimbali View Post
It stops working only after the engine is started. It works fine with engine off and the key turned to just use the accessories. We did recently replace the ignition switch.
Did you replace the switch itself, or the electrical portion, or both?

-Wayne
Old 12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Did you replace the switch itself, or the electrical portion, or both?

-Wayne
We replaced part # 4a0905849b...I guess that is the electrical portion. Do you think we would also need to replace the entire ignition assembly?

Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

The early cars had an ignition switch column problem that was updated by Porsche. I really can't think of any logical reason why the radio would not work other than something with the ignition switch.

I would try unplugging it and letting it hang down under the dash - then operate it with a screwdriver (the electrical portion), to see if the car starts and the radio has the same problem.

Article to help you: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Ignition Switch Replacement - 986 / 987

-Wayne
Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Boxster Radio

I also have the issue where the radio works fine in all instances OTHER than when it is running

It works on accessory, after the car is shut off and before the key is pulled and the door opened. As soon as the car is started it shuts off?

Anyone been able to solve the issue. Porsche said it needed a new radio which just does not seem right
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillms View Post
I also have the issue where the radio works fine in all instances OTHER than when it is running

It works on accessory, after the car is shut off and before the key is pulled and the door opened. As soon as the car is started it shuts off?

Anyone been able to solve the issue. Porsche said it needed a new radio which just does not seem right
Hi there. Welcome to the forums, which year and which radio are you referring to here?

-Wayne
Old 04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

thanks for the welcome. I own a few porsches and appreciate what Pelican does

The radio the CDR 220 in a 1999 boxter. It makes sense that it might be the ignition switch. but it does not seem to solve the issue for other posters

The dealer has said something about the car is pushing over 14 amps when running and that may be what is causing the radio to shut down. Happy to try the electrical part of the ignition switch if anyone has experience with that working.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

So if you put the ignition switch all the way over clockwise, the radio is on, but then when you turn to the spring loaded position and start the car, it goes out? If you stall the car (say put your foot on the brakes and let the clutch out), does the radio go back on?

I think the issue may be with the switch, as it shuts off the radio when starting the car and then it's supposed to put it back on. You also might want to try removing the fuel pump relay, so the car won't start, and then turn the key and have it snap back and see if this is related to the actual engine running, or related more to the switch. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

-Wayne
Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

i have a 99 911. radio goes off when engine starts. sometimes comes back on after driving for awhile, then may go off again. always works when car not started. did you ever figure out your problem? any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Porsche Issues with Radio turning off AFTER cars started

Okay, Ive owned a 986 Boxster and a Boxster S (both 2000) and BOTH ended up having the issue, Basically if you turn OFF the radio THEN the car... and turn the car back on the radio will not work.. you CANNOT turn off the radio just press mute before u turn the vehicle off, I really hope this helps because It used to bug my brains out when I would be stuck driving 400 miles home with random radio outages ! It's definitely a faulty issue that's definitely well known and there was ways to manipulate the vehicle, turning off and on and basically until you catch it on, AT TIMES if it gets frozen, simply just press the release button so the CD slot shows and then just click it back into place ( DO NOT REMOVE ) that will turn OFF the Radio. I really hope this helps anyone, I will be definitely figuring out the issue, My porsche is under certified pre owned warranty so Ive been stomping down upon this happening and they did not tell me when I purchased the car that is was an issue =P of course ...! Good luck, will post factual info when acquired!

#PorscheFtw
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 2001 boxster S with a CDR 220 radio and the radio shuts off when the car is on but if I hit the a/c switch it turns the radio on!! once the car is running for a little while I have no problem and I can turn the a/c off. its annoying but I have learned to live with it.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Bump this post!

My '99 w/ CDR-220 is having the same problem. Radio always works when engine is not running, powers off when engine starts, and turns off/on at random while driving. Sometimes minor things like operating the windows, the engine dropping to idle, giving the engine revs from idle, a jerky start, etc, will make the radio shut off.

Was going to replace the ignition switch - but it doesn't appear like that fixed the problem for the other posters. Any other insights into this problem? Very annoying!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I know exactly what the problem is I had the same problem with my car radio and no one knows how to fix it .I did it by myself the problem is when we start the car the electrical voltage in the car go up from 12 to 14.i put something like dimmer in the place where we put the fuse radio to made the voltage max go 12 even when the car is running ,the problem was solved its been now working for over 2 years and everything is good.the dimmer I used I took it from an home halogen light (it looks like a radio volume).someone said to me I can use resistance.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hello, i'm having the same issule in my 2005 chevy silverado 1500 radio works grant when just turned over for accesory move but when i start the vehicle powers on for a second then shuts off and its a after market radio was in there when i purchased vehicle wish i knew what the issue was.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Radio doesn't work when running?

New ign switch..radio works in another car..but not in mine car starts radio shuts off..any fix yet?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Radio?

Changed the ignition switch..if i start the car radio goes out if i stall it in gear the radio comes back on? Ghosts in the machine?
Plays perfect except with running car?
Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: