Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Oil Level Gauge

Bought my first Porsche, 2003 Boxster S, back in November and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Still learning the car and have been threatened by my wife for reading the "101 Projects Book" instead of tending to the kids. Tonight while picking up some groceries I noticed that the time on the engine oil level gauge when I left my garage took 5 seconds to complete. When I turned the car on after shopping, the time was reading over 45 mins to complete the cycle. Read the manual and it wasn't very clear. No other warning lights on and the car ran smoothly. When I got home, I turned the car off and then on again and the time for the cycle was 5 seconds. What is the take home point for this Engine Oil Level Gauge as it seems less than straight forward to me? The oil level was normal when I got home.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Hi there. Thanks for buying my book! What do you mean by "time" in this instance, I'm a bit confused by your explanation?

thx,

Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When I first turn the car on with the key in position one, just below the tachometer there appears a "Waiting time display for oil level measurement" and the "Engine oil level segment display" as per my manual. It's only displayed when the ignition is switched on and while the engine is not running according to the manual. It's the "Waiting time display for oil level measurement" that had such wide fluctuations in time last night from 5 seconds to >45 minutes. I hope I explained what I'm seeing correctly. It's listed in my manual as "Engine Oil Gauge". Thanks for the replies above which made me think of another question besides the ones about the time discrepancies and the utility of this gauge. How reliable is the gauge as far as being able to rely on it for measuring the oil level vs. measuring it manually? Thanks for helping this novice out.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Think of it this way. You've driven the car for a long time and the oil is quite warm and thus has been thrown all around the engine via splashing and pumps. So there needs to be some time for the oil to drain and cool before the normal level would be restored and a measurement taken against that level. Thus the long time display. When you first start out, the level starts out from its cool and drained starting point so there is trivial delay in measuring because the computer senses that the oil will probably be in its "normal" place and so it is OK to measure against that standard.

Measure on a flat surface. And how accurate...well Porsche no longer uses the dip stick on the 987 model Boxsters/Caymans. Also read in the owner's manual and understand the little blocks and the two markings and what they mean. The blocks don't say "add a quart of oil", they mean a lot less. And your oil shouldn't read to the top of the highest block but between the lines.

What you are seeing is normal. Don't over obsess over oil checks, after all many other cars you never check. And unless there is something terribly wrong, the 3-5K mile oil change should mean no top-ups necessary.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thank you! I appreciate the information and advice! Having a hard time answering one other question on the LN Engineering spin on oil filter adapter. How much does it reduce the car's ground clearance?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarmd View Post
Thank you! I appreciate the information and advice! Having a hard time answering one other question on the LN Engineering spin on oil filter adapter. How much does it reduce the car's ground clearance?
The LN adapter actually increases ground clearance when compared to the OEM setup..............
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

The LN setup sure makes oil changes easy and provides additional filtering protection when compared to the OEM setup. Add the magnetic drain plug while you're at it; your engine will thank you!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
A local dealer wants $180 to do an oil change. Sure makes doing it yourself a no brainer!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
don't go to dealer unless you have warranty or lots of money to spend....
IMHO

Last edited by kx9862002; 01-29-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: