Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

tiptronic vs manual...can't decide!!!

Having had a manual in most all my previous cars over the years...'70 spitfire, 74 mgb, datsun, mazda rx7, porsche 944...

I can't decide if my next should be a tiptronic

What is the tiptronic driving experience like? Do you use the + - gate, or just keep in 'Drive'?

How does the transmission behave under various driving conditions?

Any regrets not getting a manual?

Any opinions appreciated, thx
Old 02-08-2002, 04:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Not a Boxster, but I just drove one of those BMW Z3s with the similar transmission. Certainly not a stick, but definitely gives you the acceleration you need when you need it. I have an automatic 325is with a slightly similar transmission (though not the same thing), and in 'manual' mode it's a lot more fun to drive. Yet, if you're commuting, I would imagine it would be a pain.

The new 996s with tiptronics are supposedly faster on the track, because the transmission can shift faster than a human can? Also, you can concentrate more on driving, and less on shifting...

My suggestion would be to go rent one for the day. It's a cheap investment compared to the amount you'd be spending on a new Boxster...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 02-08-2002, 05:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Tiptronic or not...

I purchased a Boxster S with Tiptronic about two weeks ago. I find it loads of fun to drive. While it's no manual transmission, it does give you far more control over the gears than a plain automatic. Frankly, if you're like me (and you do lots of city traffic driving), it is a nice alternative to a plain automatic. Incidentally, Tiptronic shifts very quickly -- just 0.2 seconds!

However, if I had to register any regrets, here are two:

First, if you are thinking of buying a Boxster S (as opposed to a standard Boxster), you'll be trading away the 6-speed manual. Unfortunately, the Tiptronic only comes in a five-speed transmission. Of course, this point is not an issue for the standard Boxster because the manual and Tiptronic are both five-speeds.

Second, there is a loss of speed which is caused by the torque converter in the automatic transmission. Porsche quotes the difference as about 0.6 seconds for both the Boxster and Boxster S. While this difference may be worth the enormous convenience of a Tiptronic, you still have to live with the knowledge that you can't enjoy the full potential of the engine.

-Michael
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: