Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
987 radio removal ?

I want to install a fm modulator in my 05 boxster, I has the CDR24 head unit with Bose system.
How do I get access to the radio, from the front or sides? How to get the faceplate off?

thats it for now

KC

88 Guards Red Targa (sadly sold )
2005 Boxster S
1st Porsche 73 914 (long gone)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Give this a read

Picture 4 in particular.

Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Rear Speaker Kit - 986 / 987
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jared, honestly, that doesn't help me. That photo looks nothing like a 987. I understand the idea of the radio removal keys, but where are the "holes" into which you insert the keys? That's what I don't understand.

Of course having just typed that, my wife is off with the car, so I can't just run down and check... but is there a way to be more specific with the differences between a 986 and 987?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
2011 2LT Camaro Vert

KC, if it's a double DIN unit like my '06 987, you won't need any keys. Not sure how yours looks, sorry. With mine, I had to take out the small carpet pieces with torx wrench and then four more screws with another torx. Then you pull the side pieces off (they're held on with clips). After that, you have four allen heads you have to turn 180 and then the CDR24 slides out. Not sure of your system though. Here are pix of mine:
New Stereo Head Unit

Here is a link that shows you how:

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/electronics/p92-suncoast-porsche-pcm-2-1-install28cdr-24-radio-removal-29.html

Last edited by pastagreyhound; 03-20-2011 at 06:30 AM..
Old 03-20-2011, 06:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Now THAT's exactly what I needed. Now I understand.

When you did your install, did the Pioneer system work with the MOST fiber optics, or did you need to re-wire door speakers? How difficult was it to move the climate controls?

Does anyone know if it is difficult to add a PCM 3 system? I think I've found PCM3.0 with Nav, but don't know how difficult it would be to run the install. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
2011 2LT Camaro Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
Now THAT's exactly what I needed. Now I understand.

When you did your install, did the Pioneer system work with the MOST fiber optics, or did you need to re-wire door speakers? How difficult was it to move the climate controls?

Does anyone know if it is difficult to add a PCM 3 system? I think I've found PCM3.0 with Nav, but don't know how difficult it would be to run the install. Thanks!
I don't have the Bose system--I have the "sound package plus" system that comes with the ASK amp. The MOST fiber optics only worked for the RDS (?) that scrolls the radio station across the dash panel. That's it. I didn't use them at all. The kit that I got from Eurospeed Motor had everything I needed to put the double DIN in. Because Porsche doesn't use an ACC on the ignition, you have to wire power straight to the fuse box as well.

You don't need to remove the climate controls, to be honest. We did pull them out--they just slide out. Honestly only took me ten minutes to get the unit out. It was the wiring that we had to figure out. Even though Eurospeed Motor (Loi) sent a harness, we still had to "wake the amp". If you're not running bose or the "plus" system, you probably just plug in the wiring harness and you're done with it.

I've had mine in for a few weeks now and I love it. Didn't need nav, so I opted for the inexpensive Pioneer--sounds fantastic and I love playing tunes from a thumb drive or iPod again!

Honestly, it's not too terribly difficult if you know a little about wiring. There's a wiring diagram online as well. If you can't find it, I have a PDF of it I can email you. Just let me know.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastagreyhound View Post
KC, if it's a double DIN unit like my '06 987, you won't need any keys. Not sure how yours looks, sorry. With mine, I had to take out the small carpet pieces with torx wrench and then four more screws with another torx. Then you pull the side pieces off (they're held on with clips). After that, you have four allen heads you have to turn 180 and then the CDR24 slides out. Not sure of your system though. Here are pix of mine:
New Stereo Head Unit

Here is a link that shows you how:

PCM 2.1 Install (CDR-24 Radio Removal) - Articles
FINALLY SOMEONE HAS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!! Every one else has referenced the tech articles here on Pelican, which are great but not specific to 987. The link to "planet 9" is the key to the answer to my question. It look like you has basically the set up as I do, mine has the Bose system.

Thank you for taking the time to post the link.....

88 Guards Red Targa (sadly sold )
2005 Boxster S
1st Porsche 73 914 (long gone)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
2011 2LT Camaro Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinBR View Post
FINALLY SOMEONE HAS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!! Every one else has referenced the tech articles here on Pelican, which are great but not specific to 987. The link to "planet 9" is the key to the answer to my question. It look like you has basically the set up as I do, mine has the Bose system.

Thank you for taking the time to post the link.....
No problem! It's a breeze to take the CDR24 out, really. The hardest part was getting to the allen head on the upper driver-side to release the stereo. I was told however, by an installer that if you have a bose system, the speakers are proprietary to a bose system. But you're putting in a modulator, no ? So that should work out fine. You should be able to have that puppy hooked up in under 30 minutes. I was going to go the modulator route, but decided since I was pulling the whole stereo out, I might as well replace it.

Good luck to you! I feel your pain, brother!

PS--someone posted the wrong torx sizes on that planet nine article. The two T30 torx screws for the small carpet pieces, four T20 torx screws to remove the side panels and the four 5mm allen heads. Keep us updated on your progress!

Last edited by pastagreyhound; 03-20-2011 at 02:19 PM..
Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastagreyhound View Post
I was told however, by an installer that if you have a bose system, the speakers are proprietary to a bose system.
I wonder what that means, that these speakers will only work with BOSE equipment? That seems silly at best - I've never heard of that. Can you clarify?

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
2011 2LT Camaro Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
I wonder what that means, that these speakers will only work with BOSE equipment? That seems silly at best - I've never heard of that. Can you clarify?

-Wayne
I thought it was odd as well. I think he said something about a chip on each speaker--a proprietary thing. It may not have been Porsche specific, but he went on a mini-tirade about Bose systems. He'd been installing car audio for years and hates Bose. I wondered myself how only Bose speakers will work with a Bose head unit.

I do know that the kit I ordered from Loi in Florida has a "Bose" version for $20 more, so I assume you could swap out the CDR24 with a non-Bose unit.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Don't the speakers work with the amp, not the head unit? I would assume you would be able to swap the head unit and keep the amplifier, but I just don't know on that system.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
2011 2LT Camaro Vert

That sounds about right, Wayne. Probably an amp issue. I'm sure there are those here who are far more knowledgable about stereos than I.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post

-Wayne
Wayne, First of all I assume all Bose in car stuff is similar (I have no specific knowledge about the Porsche system). On other makes Bose uses 2 Ohm resistance/impedance speakers (typically is 4ohm for cars, and 8 for home) and they are wired in parallel so they act as a 1 ohm circuit to the amp. It takes specially designed amp to drive the kind of load. So that's what people mean when they saw the Bose components won't work with non-Bose substitutions.

Ohm law: Current = Voltage/Resistance

Edit: Link with more info: Factory Bose speakers ohm rating... - 6speedonline.com Forums
Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: