Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

dropin the motor/tranny

How hard is it for at home garage mechnic to drop the motor and tranny? 1-10, 10 being hard as hell. would like to hear from anybody who has done it out of their garage. also about how long it took to get it out. thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 06:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I found it easier that other P-cars. Hard part is making sure you get all of the lines. I started on a friday evening, it was out by 10:00 sat morning, but I've dropped engines before, and the suspension and exhaust was already off (stripped the car for a race car)

Have you ever dropped an engine before?

Edit: I just saw your other post. Are you dropping it because you're worried about the IMS?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

wants to know

I would like to hear how long it takes an ambitious newb, to undertake this task.
i too have never dropped a motor, would like to get first hand knowledge from another motor tranny dropper virgin
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
took me 1 1/2 days to drop engine and transmission refering to 101 projects for Porsche Boxster. I had it slightly easier though with the use of a 2 post car lift.

Don't forget to open both trunks and remove rear spoiler before removing battery. Also you will need to remove rear bumper to remove the exhaust rear box and also to unplug the rear O2 sensors after the cats.

Phill

Last edited by ninja02; 03-22-2011 at 09:09 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja02 View Post
took me 1 1/2 days to drop engine and transmission refering to 101 projects for Porsche Boxster. I had it slightly easier though with the use of a 2 post car lift.

Don't forget to open both trunks and remove rear spoiler before removing battery. Also you will need to remove rear bumper to remove the exhaust rear box and also to unplug the rear O2 sensors after the cats.

Phill
took me 4 hours but I got a lift and air tools etc. big hobby shop at home plus I have done 1 or 100 before
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

The transmission can probably be removed in an hour or two by someone with confidence, experience, and the right tools...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
worst problem I had was trying to remove the clips holding the gear linkage cables to the transmission. In the end I had to destroy them and buy new ones.

Phill
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: