Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
matt (guest)

G'day,
Do you have any images of the other end of the line to the crankcase? Where does it attach? Is there a vent line associated with this line has a spring inside it near the crankcase attachment?

Sorry, disregard the image request, I found one in your online parts catalogue 996-107-047-51-M100. I am trying to work out how this part, with a small vent? port works.
Cheers, great site & forums!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hi there. I'm not sure I completely understand the question - I will copy this to the forums where we can discuss it there...

- Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 04-17-2011, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Question on Boxster Air Oil Separator

I was curious about the connector to the crankcase for the AOS (part number 996-107-047-51-M100). Mine has a small spring loaded valve on it (possibly a vent purge for overpressure?).
My connector "vent" is covered in old oil & has covered part of the crankcase (lower left front side of engine). It appears to be quite tacky & old though.
Should this connector vent/purge oil like that?
Cheers,
Matt
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The Positive crankcase ventilation valve does contain a overpressure valve opening pressure is 180mbar +/- 20mbar. I wonder if this valve becoming clogged/nonfunctioning contributes to AOS failure due to excess crankcase pressure??
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
The Positive crankcase ventilation valve does contain a overpressure valve opening pressure is 180mbar +/- 20mbar. I wonder if this valve becoming clogged/nonfunctioning contributes to AOS failure due to excess crankcase pressure??
Wow, what a great thought there, I have never thought about that. Let's see, if the purge valve shown here gets stuck, then if there is a positive pressure from the crankcase, it will indeed get flowed right back to the air oil separator. Now, I would assume that if the separator can handle vacuum, it can handle pressure too, but I'm not sure. Also, the pressures might be higher than the vacuum. This is a good topic worth thinking about - perhaps a stuck valve here is indeed contributing to the air-oil separator failure issues.

-Wayne

101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
Old 04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm going to see if I can install a new pcv valve thru the firewall & see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I'm going to see if I can install a new pcv valve thru the firewall & see if it makes a difference.
wishful thinking, if only it were that easy.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

How much, if any, of this emissions equipment do Boxster spec racers remove from their cars?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarpen22 View Post
How much, if any, of this emissions equipment do Boxster spec racers remove from their cars?
It depends. I think that most remove it all and then just ignore the check engine lamp that results. Removing some of the items though might cause the fuel injection system to freak out, so you might need a "Boxster Spec" software upgrade to force the computer not to worry about silly things like emissions on the racetrack.

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Black electrical tape works for the cel :-)
Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Black electrical tape works for the cel :-)
True. On the early cars, you can pull the bulb. On the later cars (I think 2001 and later), the electrical tape works well.

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I replaced my AOS this morning. It was a lot harder for me to get the old one out than it was to get the new one in. My one little piece of advice is to remove the small 10mm bolt holding the electrical connectors in front of the AOS (looking in from under the car). It was a lot easier to get to after that. Also, I had to use a big screwdriver to get the lower vacuum line off (purple arrow in Wayne's book).
Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
I replaced my AOS this morning. It was a lot harder for me to get the old one out than it was to get the new one in. My one little piece of advice is to remove the small 10mm bolt holding the electrical connectors in front of the AOS (looking in from under the car). It was a lot easier to get to after that. Also, I had to use a big screwdriver to get the lower vacuum line off (purple arrow in Wayne's book).

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Wayne, I will be tackling this project soon...I have your book (couldnt do stuff without it and my bentelys) are there any 'tricks'- process steps to help me on this DIY? I have the craftsman clamp pliers (they are a godsend with the porsche clamps)...other than that is it just a follow along and be patient? I just would like to know since you and many on this forum have tackled this in the past if there any little pointers that you could pass along to keep me out of trouble aka 'see I told you to take to the dealer now it's going to cost more since you messed it up' (wife's reply when I try to do more than she thinks I'm capable of) LOL

Thanks in advance

m2
Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

It's pretty straightforward, but access is not that great. Just be sure you jack up the car enough, and use backup jack stands.

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Has anyone had any more info on the connector/valve part 996 107 047 51? I am still trying to work out how it fits in to the AOS equation.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Inquisitive user

Garage
Illustration, 104-10 shows how it fits in. It appears to go to the block. I've never read of anyone replacing it though. I didn't when I replaced my AOS either. I would guess, its a PITA to get to as well.
Randy

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_986_KATALOG.pdf
Old 11-19-2011, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I am curious as there appears to be a fair bit of oil residue around the connector, I'm guessing it has bled out the valve end. Mind you that could have been the valve doing it's job?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Reviving this thread

My AOS blown again after only 2500 miles. I'm wondering about the PCV valve. I got the same symptoms with oïl residu starting from the PCV valve and wondering if its still working. Anyone have change it? Any good way to change it?

Later
Chris
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: