Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Starter motor ?

Hi,

I'm having a bit of an issue with the starter motor (I think) on my 986 S.

When the car is cold it cranks and fires normally. Once the engine has reached normal operating temperature after a run and then I stop and try to re-start the engine it hesitates. Basically it sort of clicks as if it's goping to start cranking but then there is a worrying pause as if nothing is going to happen and then it cranks( but slower than when cold) and fires.

I'm assuming this is a starter issue ?

Thanks

Stuart
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Had a similar problem, replaced my starter. You can do it yourself in a couple of hours, all you need is a long extension to reach the lower bolt. Im On my cell phone if not I would provide the link on how to do it. Im sure when Wayne reads this he will put the link on how to replace it. pM me if u plan on doing it and I can give u my phone number in case u get stuck. Pp has,bosch for $276 refurbish. They work just fine or go new $1,000.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbz818 View Post
Im sure when Wayne reads this he will put the link on how to replace it.
Am I that predictable? Actually, here's a thought. I would check your battery first, and have it tested or replace it prior to replacing the starter. The battery is a breeze to replace, and it might be an easy fix to the problem:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Battery Disconnect Switch / Battery Buddy Installation - 986 / 987

I agree that it does indeed feel like it's a weak starter, but if your battery is weak too, then the two can work together to create this problem. You might have to replace the starter in the future, but if you can get by without doing it today, then that's a good thing, right? Either way, here's the link to the starter replacement article: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Starter Replacement - 986 / 987

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 04-19-2011, 01:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Unhappy

And there you go. I tend to jump the gun alot do to the field I work in, in the hospital something minor like a cold can be something life threating, so u,always try to stay ahead and prevent anything major before it happens. With that said, I gotta stop treating problems on this car as it were human. just dont want it to die..lol
Hope it is indeed just your battery, good call Wayne. I got stop replying to post as if I know something, feel li,e dumb ass.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys,

I had the battery checked recently and It's ok. I thought It was starter Just seemed odd that It only happened when warm. I think I'll get It changed..

Thanks again

Stuart
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stueyg View Post
I had the battery checked recently and It's ok.
It's difficult to check a battery's condition and how it will perform under full load when starting. I would swap the battery out with another one just to test, prior to having the starter replaced. It's a pain to replace the starter, but only a few minutes to swap out the battery.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: