Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
2001 Boxster owner

First visit to the Porsche dealer

No rant, vent or complaint here, just sharing about going to the Porsche dealer for the first time yesterday.
As of today I've owned my 2001 Boxster for 2 weeks.
So, I had already ordered a second key ($500) and scheduled an oil change ($140) for yesterday at the Porsche dealer.
Well, my one hour oil change turned into a six hour day at the dealer.
Having explained that I had recently gotten the Porsche, I asked if they could look it over as I'm not even familiar with how it should sound when it's healthy.
To cut to the chase, they found that all four brakes were within a millimeter of lighting up the dash light.
Plus the brake fluid was very dirty.
So for an additional $1600 I had the brakes done (rotor, pad, bolts) all around and the brake fluid changed ($200).
Oh yeah and they found that was the fuse that was responsible for my cigarette lighter not working although I swear I checked the correct fuse. However I don't smoke I just want to plug a GPS in and they don't install any third party after market parts, so I'll have to find someone to do the upgrade.
The good news? Well, as a PCA member they take 10 percent off of any bill so that reduced my out of pocket cost by $240.
They threw in washing the car, cleaning all the leaves and crap out of the underside filters and replacing three light bulbs in the rear (they all randomly failed while at the shop).
Future issues: There's a rattle inside of the catalytic converter ($1300), which they don't open those up, they just said wait for it to fail. There's also a noise during deceleration which they attribute to a worn engine mount.
Other than needing new rear tires, all is well with the Boxster and I am still quite happy driving it.
It goes faster too having reduced the weight by taking all of that cash out of my billfold. :P
Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Too bad you are out of the emission control warranty to take care of the cat. Nice that you trust your dealer, but I wouldn't trust the source of the rattle. Being a '01 Boxster, I would highly suggest a second opinion. You might sleep better.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Steve

I also have a 2001 (about 30,000 miles), had it for over a year and have not had it to a shop yet... and I doubt that I would ever take it to a Porsche dealership. That's not a criticism, I just don't trust dealership service departments in general... there's too much pressure to generate revenue, so they will!

I have a mechanic that has worked on all my cars for years. I trust him... and I'm sure I would trust him with a ten year old Boxster. I think we have to remember that! We're talking about a ten year old car, a car that's not all that valuable. It's just an old car, what's the worst that could happen?

Also, all cars are pretty complex now days. A good mechanics deals with all kinds of difficult issues with all brands. I'm not sure that, other than experience with a particular model or a warranty issue, there's much of a reason to go to a Porsche dealership anymore. Considering the information available on the web, it seems that any mechanic could handle a Boxster in his shop.

Steve
Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Jupiter 911

mdrips,dont know how handy you are but the repairs you have mentioned are pretty straight forward. With Waynes 101 book and the help here on the forum you could have saved about $1,800. of that $2,400. Just something to think about, plus you get to know the car, enjoy.
Euro pistons and cylinders.
2002 Boxster Artic Silver/Wifes ride.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
2001 Boxster owner

Wayne:
I bought your book the same day I bought my Boxster.
Right now I do not have the tools/space/time for do it yourself projects, but the book is also good for watering down the flames of BS that some shops might attempt to feed you regarding "needed" repairs.
That said, I just wanted the comfort level of having had the Porsche dealer run a diagnostic on it and look it over.
I'm shopping around for a local service place that handles Porsches.
It's all good, and I love driving the car.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i had a problem with AOS, got quoted it would be about $800 to fix, used Waynes book and the guys here on the forums and got it done for $116. Only took about 3 hours, was a little pain in the @ss, but the money i saved helps cushion it.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The oil change is pretty easy on the boxster. I just use 2 2x4 and drove the car on it. No ramp, no jack.
Pelican also has the power brake bleeder. It is a one man job pressure bleed. Just pump up the pressure to 26psi.
each job can be done with less than $100.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrips View Post
Wayne:
I bought your book the same day I bought my Boxster.
Great! My evil plan to take over the world is working!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
2001 Boxster owner

I have a GREAT IDEA!

All you guys that have saved money by using Wayne's book, send that saved money to me so that I can keep going to the Porsche dealer until I move to larger digs where I can work on the car myself.

This is such an obvious idea, I'm surprised I didn't think of it before.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Count me in! :)

Of course you may have larger digs before I buy a Boxster. Need to get one more kid out of college and off the payroll first, but lurking and gathering data in the meantime!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Inquisitive user

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomViers View Post
Of course you may have larger digs before I buy a Boxster. Need to get one more kid out of college and off the payroll first, but lurking and gathering data in the meantime!
Tom, Noticed you live in Cape Garage Door MO. My mother and brother live there.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbz818 View Post
i had a problem with AOS, got quoted it would be about $800 to fix, used Waynes book and the guys here on the forums and got it done for $116. Only took about 3 hours, was a little pain in the @ss, but the money i saved helps cushion it.
I too did the AOS myself and saved the labor. If 800 was the estimate, I would do this over and over each and every time.

However, that is a preposterous estimate. It's a hour job for a main mechanic with a few minutes assist from a fellow mechanic. My mechanic (the same one Wayne uses when he's not doing his own work) is $125 an hour. Even he wouldn't have charged me much over 400.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrips View Post
All you guys that have saved money by using Wayne's book, send that saved money to me...
Sorry, I got dibs on that - the saved money isn't saved, it's simply "diverted" or "optimized" into FabSpeed exhausts, short shift kits, and PSS9 suspensions!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
I too did the AOS myself and saved the labor. If 800 was the estimate, I would do this over and over each and every time.
Right, the quote of $800 is obviously from someone who hasn't done it before, and would be learning on your dime. The bottom hose is a pain to get to / reach, but it's certainly doable in a reasonable amount of time.

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 04-23-2011, 12:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Old 04-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: